Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 30

Re: Firewall won't stay on

Well if you are satisfied that it isn't malware as discussed above then I would phone or use the online chat with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.   Both methods are free.

flo
Former Member
Message 12 of 30

I took the computer in - it was a virus.  I got rid of McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 30

That's your decision of course but a word of caution.  I wouldn't get rid of your antivirus of any brand every time you get an infection because there are some around that can get by any of them - particularly the new fake alert type things which need special handling.

The fake alert malware is not a trojan or virus so has to be approached from a different angle and there are loads of tools to help with that.

Keep Windows up to date, especially your browsers, even if you don't use all of them and surf wisely.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/11 7:37:23 EST PM
icerook
Former Member
Message 14 of 30

I have the same problem.  I had the win 7 antivirus annoying program popup 2 days ago.  I ran mcAfee nothing showed up.  I ran spybot search and destroy, found a couple of things (including the win 7 av issue) cleared that out. Firewall still not able to stay on.  I downloaded the Malwarebyte anti malware program as suggested by someone in one of the threads, it found 16 things which we cleared out.  Firewall still shutting off.  I have tried to use the online and the desktop versions of the virtual tech and all it does is sit there forever saying initializing and not doing anything else. I also tried to access the online chat, can't get that to work either.

I didn't even download anything for this garbage to show up on my computer in the first place so I'm perplexed.

did the stinger:

said nothing there i cant paste the info for some reason so i attached it

Message was edited by: icerook on 12/16/11 10:36:51 PM CST
alteris
Former Member
Message 15 of 30

icerook,

Just to update you on my case, since yours sounds like mine, eventually I just gave up and did a factory image restore.  It was not fun, but long overdue, and to this date I'm problem free and my computer has run clean (for almost 2 weeks now).  It took a bit to get everything up and running make sure you check everything you could possibly want saved (bookmarks, game files, and of course your personal files) and take an inventory of some settings on your computer so you don't have to play around with things to try to remember what you did before like in my case with Windows user account control.

My guess is that this little nasty thing messes up some of the registry settings so even removing it leaves the scars from its presence and McAfee has a harder time fixing that.  To be honest no other software seemed to help either so this is just one nasty bug that got through and nothing could beat it, I don't blame McAfee.  System restore, and if that doesn't work or the little bug kills that too, go for a factory image restore.

I am also using McAfee's Site Advisor now, was not before, so I'm hoping that allows even a tiny bit more protection.

Best of luck

icerook
Former Member
Message 16 of 30

thanks for the reply, Im trying to avoid doing a restore as i have so much stuff on here it would be a royal pain.  somebody has got to able to figure this out without having to resort to that I would hope.

Message was edited by: icerook on 12/16/11 11:01:42 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 30

When you do a restore try it in safe mode some malware disable it when they are loaded.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 30

System Restore doesn't change your personal stuff, only the system files.

warriorfullight
Contributor
Message 19 of 30

Yes, it does. There are times that system restore removes unwanted files, but that happens very rare. So, that shouldn't be a problem. Try backing your files up just to be sure.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 30

Well then you should argue it out with Microsoft then.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Quote:

System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It can also make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer.

Note

System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup.

I do agree however, it's a good idea to keep backups for such an occasion.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/12/11 9:04:38 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community