Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
recharge
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Firewall turns off

Jump to solution

I have McAfee Total Protection and have noticed that my firewall keeps turning off. This has occurred since updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I have checked on your website for other reports of this and have found a list of solutions dating back to 2013. I have tried all of them but without success. Additionally I have run MVT, uninstalled and reinstalled Total Protection. The warning, informing me that the firewall is off, is erratic. When I go into the application it tells me that the firewall is on until I get to the specific part where I can turn the facility on and off, it tells me here that it is off and I cannot turn it on.

Going in Services I note that McAfee Personal Firewall, set for Automatic (Delayed Start) is not running. If I click start, I get an error message “Windows could not start the McAfee Personal Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start”. If I go into the Recovery tab in Properties and click on “Help me set up recovery actions” I get the following “An internal error occurred (INVALID_HANDLE).

Has anyone any ideas about how to rectify this problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 10

Re: Firewall turns off

Jump to solution

Alright we need to fix the Windows Firewall service. Double click to open Properties window and change the service type to Automatic.

Click Apply and start the Service. Once started go to McAfee Personal Firewall Service and try starting it.

Now all the services i mentioned in my first post should be started and Running. Verify status of McAfee Firwall by opening GUI.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

I moved this to Consumer > Personal Firewall as the best spot for it.

Was the software active during the upgrade to Win 10 ?

If so it may have corrupted.

I suggest uninstalling all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs  and Features, reboot if asked.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then reinstall from your online account.

recharge
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for moving this to the right place.

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work.

McAfee Total Protection was already in place when I upgraded to Windows 10. Microsoft said that this would not affect any existing applications!

As the firewall is not working should I envoke Wondows Firewall as a temporary measure?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

If McAfee is turned off then Windows Firewall should already be on, however this may be a false warning.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any issues.

https://mvt.mcafee.com/

On that same page you will see how to contact Technical Support, which I recommend you try if all else fails.

It's free and if at first they can't fix it then you can ask them to escalate the issue.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please check the below services and try turning them ON. If they are running already proceed to the next.

Base Filter Engine

Windows Firewall Service

McAfee Firewall core service

McAfee Personal Firewall Service

Post back the status

recharge
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for response.

Base Filter Engine - Running (Automatic)

Windows Firewall Service - Disabled

McAfee Firewall core service - Running (Manual)

McAfee Personal Firewall Service - Not running (Automatic)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Support has come to you rather than the reverse, good luck Stuart.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Alright we need to fix the Windows Firewall service. Double click to open Properties window and change the service type to Automatic.

Click Apply and start the Service. Once started go to McAfee Personal Firewall Service and try starting it.

Now all the services i mentioned in my first post should be started and Running. Verify status of McAfee Firwall by opening GUI.

recharge
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

This has fixed it, thanks very much. Oddly, after turning Windows Firewall Services on and then going to McAfee Personal Firewall Services I found that I could not gain access to it but it was already turned on and even running as administrator I still don't have access to it. But at least it was on and running automatic. I opened up McAfee Firewall GUI and found all running as it should.

I very much appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Locking this discussion as it has been 'Correctly Answered'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community