cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcrae
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Firewall turning off & no Security History

Since the update to Security Center 12.1, I have had some issues as others have experienced primarily the firewall turning off randomly plus Security History not logging incoming events.

Before the update to 12.1 I had no issues with the previous software version which was running smoothly except I had to reinstall (per tech support) after the Mcafee 11.6 update due to certain

function(s) not accessible. So it appears, once again, after Mcafee updates to a new Internet Security version some problems appear again!!  Current OS is Windows 7 SP1.

Initially, after appearance of the problems (firewall turning off randomly and " Security History " not logging any incoming events) I ran Virtual Technician which found an error with a

registry entry but did not resolve any issues.  I unistalled the software via Windows unistall program followed by running the MCPR tool.   I re-installed Internet Security 12.1 and

downloaded/ran Rootkit Remover, Stinger (complete scan) , a full Macfee virus scan and downloaded/ran Malwarebytes (complete scan). Nothing was found after running these programs.

Internet Security 12.1 appeared to be functioning correctly (for less than a day) until the firewall turned off (2 times when random surfing, 3 times when attempting

to open Internet Security by double-clicking on icon) and Security Hiistory stopped logging any incoming events after 8 hours. Contacted technical support who remotely accessed machine

and re-checked my software settings, window services, ran Virtual Technician, uninstalled Malwarebytes, and performed a quick virus scan.

Tech Support stated that (1) Firewall was turning off because I had Malwarebytes installed even though I told them I had installed Mailwarebytes after I re-installed and the problem was occuring even before Malwarebytes was installed)  (2) Security History will resume logging/reporting after the next scheduled virus scan is perfomed (after virus scan performd no events were being logged except previous virus scan program logging.

Tech support was very helpful but not succesful in resolving the issues. So, next day, I re-installed Internet Security 12.1 and again downloaded/ran Rootkit Remover, a full Macfee virus scan

and downloaded/ran Malwarebytes (quick scan). Nothing was found after running these programs.

Current status after two days: The firewall has not turned off, yet, but twice now, for a quick , half-second, the pop-up message "Your cumputer is at risk" appears then disapears but the firwewall

is still " on " when status is checked. Furthermore, I still do not have any incoming events logged at all. As another person has posted,  I wonder if my firewall is even working  though status

states  "on". I am now suspect and not confident that it is functioning correctly along with no reporting to access/view in Security History.

Also, I have never used a registry cleaning program ever, my clock is current time, I do not have any other competing virus programs installed and I am fully updated on the Windows side.

Though some setups are apparently not having problems, it is still rather disppointing that this has occurred after updating to 12.1 with no solution in sight.

Message was edited by: mcrae on 1/16/13 3:57:45 PM CST
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Firewall turning off & no Security History

It's possible that it is reacting to some other software on your machine.

In this case I would reopen the case with Technical Support and ask them to escalate the issue.

You could try running the Virtual Technician a few times to see if it will fix things:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community