cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piet43
Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Firewall stops streaming data to TV set after 20 minutes

This is the same problem I had with Windows XP SP3, however it was possible then to turn off the McAfee firewall and put Windows firewall on.

Streaming could then run forever.

I'm running Windows7 now, with McAfee total protection , I have added all required TCP / UDP ports for the local environment to be opened for Windows Media Player

( from Microsoft.com documents ) but still McAfee kills my connection after 20 minutes. And I can't switch back to Windows firewall now.

If the firewall is off, there is no problem. My guess is that the time-out that is used to temporarely alow a foreign PC (which has to be acknowledged with a password within 20 minutes ! ) is

hurting my situation.

Any suggestions will be appriciated.

38 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 39

Re: Firewall stops streaming data to TV set after 20 minutes

Try running McAfee Virtual Technician found under useful Links at the top of this page in the Technical Support links to scan your computer for any McAfee related issues. Please post the session number at the conclusion of the scan here in the thread and then proceed to contact Technical Support Chat and post the chat session number also.

It may be just a setting that needs changed but I am by no means an expert on the logic behind how the firewall operates but the gathering of these facts will help everyone to learn what might be causing your issue and the McAfee techs may want to gather some logs to troubleshoot the issue further.

nayan007
Former Member
Message 3 of 39

After raising a request to the technical support team,please don't forget to get the ticket number. The number will be required for all further communication purpose

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 4 of 39

Hi there,

Please follow the instructions here to add the IP address of your cable card that would help for better streaming .

Find the IP address(s) of your cable tuner card

1. Open Windows Media Center and right-click the Windows flag at the top left corner.
  2. Click Settings, TV, TV Signal, Digital Tuner Diagnostics.
  3. Click Yes on the TV Signal Setup Prompt.
  4. Select Digital Tuner Diagnostics, then select the Digital Tuner button to view the IP Address of the Tuner card.
  5. Restart your computer.

Trust the network in McAfee Security Center

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
  2. Select Internet & Network and click Configure.
  3. In the Firewall protection is enabled section, click Advanced....
  4. In the Firewall menu, select Network.
  5. Click Add.
  6. Enter the IP address, or select Range and enter the range of IP addresses required by your cable tuner card.

Add the Media Center applications to the trusted programs list 

1. In the Firewall menu, select Program Permissions.
  2. Click Add Allowed Program and browse to C:\Windows\ehome and add all the applications (receiver, shell, an so on).
  3. Click OK and close SecurityCenter.

Thanks,

piet43
Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Jai,

Thank you for your extensive suggestions.

Unfortunately this is not my situation : my TV-set is part of my local area network and I'm streaming data to it via Windows Media Player.

So the set is connected via a lan-cable ( because of the distance ) and not via DVI or HDMI.

The connection should be running under the so- called DLNA protocol.

By  online chat with McAfee yesterday, they managed to get Virtual Technician running : before it was only busy initializing itself.

No problems discovered in my instalation.

They also made some minor changes to the programs allowed on the firewall, without results.

I did some additional tests after that, because I'm convinced that the problem is related to the time-frame of 15 minutes that is also used ( with increments of 15 min )

if you disable the firewall.

First of all my description of this problem should state 15 minutes instead of 20.

My tests show the following results :

1. Firewall on

- data streaming stops after 15 minutes, cannot be restarted, TV set still online in McAfee network view

2. Firewall off for 30 minutes :

- data streaming ( video in this case ) stops after 15 minutes, but can be restarted from the TV

so PC and TV still talking to each other

- after 30 minutes streaming stops, cannot be restarted  , TV still online in McAfee network view

3. Firewall off ( untill restart )

- Data streaming ran for more than 2 hours till I stopped it.

So I still believe this is a firewall problem, as it was under Windows XP , but then I was able to switch to the Windows firewall which I can't anymore under Windows 7.

I will get in touch with McAfee again and try to get a closer look at this issue.

Thanks

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 6 of 39

piet43 wrote:

Jai,

Thank you for your extensive suggestions.

Unfortunately this is not my situation : my TV-set is part of my local area network and I'm streaming data to it via Windows Media Player.

So the set is connected via a lan-cable ( because of the distance ) and not via DVI or HDMI.

The connection should be running under the so- called DLNA protocol.

By  online chat with McAfee yesterday, they managed to get Virtual Technician running : before it was only busy initializing itself.

No problems discovered in my instalation.

They also made some minor changes to the programs allowed on the firewall, without results.

I did some additional tests after that, because I'm convinced that the problem is related to the time-frame of 15 minutes that is also used ( with increments of 15 min )

if you disable the firewall.

First of all my description of this problem should state 15 minutes instead of 20.

My tests show the following results :

1. Firewall on

- data streaming stops after 15 minutes, cannot be restarted, TV set still online in McAfee network view

2. Firewall off for 30 minutes :

- data streaming ( video in this case ) stops after 15 minutes, but can be restarted from the TV

so PC and TV still talking to each other

- after 30 minutes streaming stops, cannot be restarted  , TV still online in McAfee network view

3. Firewall off ( untill restart )

So I still believe this is a firewall problem, as it was under Windows XP , but then I was able to switch to the Windows firewall which I can't anymore under Windows 7.

I will get in touch with McAfee again and try to get a closer look at this issue.

Thanks

Hi piet43,

You are not running the Beta Version of McAfee Total Protection, so you have the option to selectively remove the Firewall portion of the Suite from the computer.

I have noticed in my testing by trying a Clean Boot, that McShield and the McAfee Firewall are always on, whether you specifically turn off something or not.

With your product, uninstall the Anti-Virus or VirusScan first selectively and see if it was the Anti-Virus that caused you the problem.

This is the problem in a nutshell. McAfee simply doesn't know how to exclude programs and its data from being scanned.

This is why I removed McAfee in its entirely from my Wireless Livingroom Computer. It crashes with Recordings from Beyond TV. It takes over the CPU.

I posted this PrtScrn before. Here it is again.

2012-03-12 - Win 7 Clean Boot Mode.jpg

You tell me. Does anyone have any explanations. McAfee can't tell the difference between a User turning off the product or a Virus. That's bad.

piet43
Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Good morning everyone,

I promised to keep you informed on ticket / session nmbrs with McAfee.

Following email to McAfee TS Chat has it all.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello Rajesh Mohan,

I have spent about 1.5 hours on 2 online chats now without any result  . Reference nmbrs : 484570-848335792 and 849706371

I have given your support agent online access to my computer to switch all defaults on and off, put all available options on or off, and finally I have de- and re-installed McAfee Total protection.

NO RESULT

I started my career as Operating System Software Support engineer in 1969 at Sperry Univac, and have been working in that area for more than 25 years.

So you might say that I have some feeling about trouble shooting and what needs to be done to tackle a problem , and I hope McAfee has some more knowledge inhouse than I have seen untill now.

F.i. I would like to see  some trace facility on system port activity like NETSTAT , to do something usefull and define the cause of the problem.

Your front-end has done its job now, and I’m not having another chat before you make clear to this ‘valueble customer’ what you intend to do now.

I have seen your remarks about ‘bringing it to the next level’ , and I want to know on forehand how this problem will be handled from this point.

Because if these actions are not satisfactory to me, I will report back to the Customer community where I opened this problem as well, and I will find me another product on the market.

To make sure that your  people have not mist my test results , here they are again :

1. Firewall on

2. Firewall off for 30 minutes

- data streaming video in this case stops after 15 minutes, but can be restarted from the TV so PC and TV still talking to each other

- after 30 minutes streaming stops, cannot be restarted , TV still online in McAfee network view

3. Firewall off untill restart

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards, 

Piet Zuijderduijn

Message was edited by: piet43 on 3/18/12 6:22:18 AM CDT
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 39

Hi Piet Zuijderduijn,

Wow!

Questions:

1. What is the overall package name of McAfee installed? 2010, 2011 or 2012?
  2. What are the Builds for the individual components for Total Protection? Security Center, VirusScan and Firewall?
  3. Did you reformat and install Windows 7? on the computer? Or did you install Windows 7? overtop the existing Windows XP ? operating system with Service Pack 3 installed?
  4. Is there a Program Permission for the TV, listed in Program Permissions in the Firewall? Is it Outgoing or Full Access?
  5. Have you tried the testing with the Firewall on and VirusScan or Anti-Virus set to Never?
  6. Laptop or Desktop?
  7. If Desktop, is it Wireless to TV and Router? What is the Wireless Adapter if any in use?

Why Questions? Try to help yourself after reading your post. I don't think you know where to begin, wihout knowing most of those answers in the beginning.

piet43
Contributor
Message 9 of 39

Hi creator,

Why don't you voluteer to be one of those McAfee chat boys ?

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 10 of 39

piet43 wrote:

Hi creator,

Why don't you voluteer to be one of those McAfee chat boys ?

Hi Piet Zuijderduijn,

Thanks but no thanks. Don't wish to hit my head against a brick wall.

They may hear what I say in my posts and Bug Reports, but, if I am the only one experiencing it, the problem remains in the product.

Lots of Users, simply switch Brands. They may see what I am seeing, but if others report the problem, why do they need to? That seems to be the mentality of the situation.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community