Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spoon_25
Contributor II
Message 1 of 6

Firewall resetting settings on update [Total Protection 15.1]

Hi,

It's now many months that I see the Firewall to reset few settings when updating.

For example it reset the many access permissions in "Internet Connections for Programs" ignoring what I manually set and setting this the way it want (often it allows "incoming and outgoing" while I set "block" or "outgoing only").

It also like to open up ports I didn't open in "Ports and System Services" after every update I end up with "Common Operating System Ports", "Remote Assistance" and "Universal Plug and Play" enabled while I disabled them.

It's not the first time I see this and of course when asking the support they have no idea what I talk about and tell me it's better like that.

Actually the point is that if I buy a product (McAfee) and configure the firewall in a given way it's because that's what I want, so deleting my settings at every update is more than annoying.

I can only say it's a bug, because any average (or even badly coded) program would keep settings still applicable when updating.

Am I the only seeing this? And am I the only one finding it annoying that settings are changed without asking or anything on update?

Thanks

Windows 10 64bit

Total Protection 15.1 (15.1 R2)

SecurityCenter 15.4 (15.4.4053)

VirusScan 19.1 (19.1.2115)

Personal Firewall 16.0 (16.0.4010)

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Firewall resetting settings on update [Total Protection 15.1]

Run the Virtual Technician just in case there's a fault in the software:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

On that same page underneath the MVT download to the left you'll see Contact Support.

Technical Support would probably be interested in such behaviour if it persists.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

I know that if you elect to do a Uninstall/Reinstall you are asked if you want to save all *Personal Settings*. As for changing when mine personally are Auto Updated/Upgraded I do not experience a change?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Successfully moved from General Discussion to Personal Firewall  > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
spoon_25
Contributor II
Message 5 of 6

Hi ​ ,

Just run MVT (took a while to get it and make it run, apparently the mcafee website have issues ... or just super slow).

Nothing found, all Ok based on the log.

Will try again with the support so they can take note of the issue and maybe open a case internally or something.

​ : I do not uninstall / reinstall or manually update the application. McAfee update itself as part of the various things (updating viruscan every day or so, update antispam regularly and from time to time there is an update for the app itself).

Based on the "last update" dates in the "about" screen the update which reset some of my setting was Security Center: it's the only one updated today (if I ignore the anti-spam content which was few hours ago and the virusscan engine which was today as well).

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Well if it really bothers you you could make an issue of it by opening a ticket with support, but that would mean them remotely connecting with your machine to take a look at what you mean.

Your choice really.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community