cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willowdzn
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Firewall not able to turn on.

I'm running Windows 7 fully updated with McAfee Total Protection fully updated (12.8.856) and I'm not able to turn on my firewall. From the overview of the control centre, everything is running fine and shows that everything is up and secure. However when I click on the firewall section, it says Firewall is turned off. When I click 'turn on', it does for a second but then turns off again. No error messages and popping up and the scanner can't find any viruses. :s Help please!

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Firewall not able to turn on.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix any issues:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also make sure that Windows 7 is totally up to date, SP1, IE11 etc.    Even if you don't use Internet Explorer, McAfee does for display and soime functionality purposes, so make sure it's up to date and all it's add-ons too.

If that doesn't help try a complete uninstall via Control Panel

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

willowdzn
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I haven't had much time to use my computer as I've been working.

I ran Virtual Technician and the scan showed I was missing 4 files:

C:\Program Files\mcafee\gkp\content.bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\mcafee\gkp\hiphandlers.dat

C:\Program Files (x86)\mcafee\gkp\hiphandlers.dll

C:\Program Files\mcafee\gkp\hipscont.inf

These were the only issues with the scan and showed to be the reason my firewall was turned off.

Is there a way to download these files for replacement? Thanks!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

No, the only way would be to do what I suggested above after the mention of MVT.

If that doesn't help then I suggest contacting Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat, and linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community