cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zaafirah013
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Firewall not Allowing Prog. Files Access to Internet

:confused: Last week, I had a Trojan virus (fake anti virus alert) downloaded with a file into my computer. I'm using Windows XP. I downloaded McAfee since I was unable to resolve the problem with Symantec Anti Virus that's installed on my computer, did a virus scan with MCAfee and was able to remove the virus from my computer which was a good thing.

The next day however, when my computer was restarted, I was unable to open some of the files that are on my desktop. I cant even open and run McAfee anymore. I get a msg saying that I have a firewall preventing the program from accessing the internet. I tried to remove McAfee and reinstall the program but now, I can't even dowload the file. It says that It needs access to the internet to be able to download. I did a system retore to an ealier date today but, I still can't open the files that need access to the internet. I get the same msg. I cant even use Mozilla Firefox or my aol desktop. They both say that a firewall is up and the program is unable to accesss the internet.

I can use Internet Explorer and Aol 9.0 to access the internet. I tried turning off Windows firewall and leaving Program file exceptions on my list but still to no avail. Doesn't work. I think McAfee still has a firewall on that I cant turn off. I just want this program removed completely. What can I do to remove this firewall without compromising the security of my computer?

Thanks!
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: Firewall not Allowing Prog. Files Access to Internet

You can't run just McAfee firewall alongside any Symantec protection product. Decide which company you are going to use and then use either one or the other but not both. It should also be noted at this stage that there have been problems reported with AOL 9.0 too.

First enable Windows Firewall.

Remove McAfee's firewall via the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista) then run the MCPR tool in my signature and reboot.

If the problem persists you will have to remove Symantec too the same way and then using their removal tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Then go with either Symantec/Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall, or McAfee, but not a mixture of both.

What operating system and service pack is this?
Zaafirah013
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for answering back. I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'm not sure what service pack though. Also, I can't pull up McAfee from the control panel. For some reason it's not showing. Maybe it was removed when I tried uninstalling the first time. Only Symantec is showing up in add/uninstall program list. I downloaded McAfee from At&t since I'm using their services. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it but since the firewall is up, I can't even complete the dowload anymore. I get a message saying that I need to be connected to the internet to complete dowload.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Well click the MCPR removal tool link in my signature and see if you can save it to your desktop from where you could install/run it. Once saved, right-click it and go to Properties and click Unblock, then click Apply/OK.

Then just double-click it to run. It will remove itself along with any leftover McAfee, after a reboot.

It's vital, especially these days with so many threats circulating, for your machine to be totally up to date with both critical and non-critical updates using Microsoft Updates http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US if not already setup that way.

To check your Windows version go to Start/Run and type winver then click Enter or OK.
Zaafirah013
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I have Windows Version 5.1 Serv pack 3. Where do I find my signature? I've tried searching for it using search but it doesn't come up.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

My signature. Like below this line....see the link ?

Addendum...I see by your profile you had that feature turned off. I've changed it for you.

This is the link: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507
Zaafirah013
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thank You!!!!

I appologize for seeming so clueless. Thank you so much for your help. Everything worked out well. My programs are running well again. happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

No problem. Glad it's OK now. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community