Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 111 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

The only reason I suggested uninstalling McA first was that when I tested the Fixit on my Vista machine here, it said it couldn't fix because WF could not be enabled....I assumed because McA is installed.   Try it first without doing that by all means.

Vinod, being a Tech would know best, so please follow his instruction by all means.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/05/13 5:56:35 EDT AM
shantivan
Former Member
Message 112 of 232

Vinod to run fixit, where should i go? Could you please send me a pointer so I can click and try this.  I see you are from Chennai.  I am also from Chennai but live in North Carolina.

Ramesh

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 113 of 232

heaven2012
Former Member
Message 114 of 232

I had the same issue with Mcafee firewall turning off and not being able to  turn it back on. My computer had recently ran updates on 5/14/13  and on 05/17/13 I got the virus that says you have the w.32 blasterworm. This is when I first realized my firewall was turned off and would not turn back on. I went through the safemode process to get rid of the virus through the bleepingcomputer.com and then it happened again on 05/29/13 after updates had ran on 05/27/13.  I again went through the process of fixing the w.32 issue and then started trying to figure out the firewall issue which was again off and would not turn on.  I followed the advice on this forum but Windows firewall would not turn on either, giving the error 80070424 and this time not even the fix at microsoft.com could fix it.  I am in no way a computer expert but saw a pattern of updates turning off my firewall and then getting the same virus.  So, I went in to my programs, uninstalled 3 updates that had been installed on 05/14/13: Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.20125.5, AVG Safeguard Toolbar, and Skype 5.10 and IT FIXED IT!!!  I don't know how, but I assume one of them was interfering with my Mcafee Firewall and turning it off, and not letting me turn it back on.  Now I can turn my firewall on!!!  I hope a tech at McAfee reads this and can research it a little more.  Maybe this could help others. ???

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 115 of 232

I hope you tried the fixit i shared on previous post... if you did that and still had issues.. did you hit upon the below fixit?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/windows-update-error-80070424

if these were attempted and you still had an issue its intresting.... will keep eyes peeled for some issues... i might suggest you to run the rootkitremover.mcafee.com and stinger.mcafee.com and allow it to do a full scan just to be very sure

ssherif
Contributor
Message 116 of 232

Will try our method.  I am having the same issue all week and it's annoying.  We can't be the only ones wiht this pervasive problem and unfortunately others might not take the firewall warning seriously..

Peacekeeper
Message 117 of 232

ssherif Vinod"s suggestion is aimed where you run the services.msc command in the run box and there are no base filtering engine or windows firewall services either present or started and set as automatic.

hj76
Former Member
Message 118 of 232

I am also having the same issue with my firewall. I get a warning that my firewall is off, so I click to view on Mcafee Total Protection and I turn it back on. Then the message appears again later that day or the next. I have tried using Mcafee support anf the Virtual Technician, but it says nothing is wrong. This has been going on for months and I keep checking this site to see if the question has been answered, but have not seen a solution yet. Why has this issue not been fixed and what can I do about it?

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 119 of 232

Because its may not be the same issue that everyone has got.... Firewall not working is just the symptom ... the actual reason might be somethign else...  there is no magic pill out there that someone could feed the computer to fix all ailments in one shot.....

Could you please run the tools i had suggested in my previous posts and report back as a next reply?- we might be able to see what is on the machine... or you might even contact support for a more extensive troubleshooting

Peacekeeper
Message 120 of 232

Just let you know another way this issue may manifest itself is you get a malware in my daughter's case Internet security 2014 and it disabled the firewall somehow. I cleaned out the malware and the firewall still disabled itself and every time I opened the firewall settings they were greyed out as the firewall turned off.

I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled it as per

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and Run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

I then rebooted and updated java and the firewall has been stable for 1 day . This laptop has been running constant scans and updates I cannot make it fail. Will monitor for a while before I give it back to her.

In this instance the windows firewall and Base filtering engine services were started and automatic so not same issue as the fix vinod_r2 gave a fix for . This at least gives two fixes to think about.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/06/13 12:14:41 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community