cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shonabby
Former Member
Message 221 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

Think hard. If you're problem totally mirrors mine,  then it is a virus.  McAfee does not want to admit it cannot fix a virus, so they blame windows  save yourself a lot of time and money, and do a Windows Recovery. Make sure you first try going to a previous Windows Restore Point. If you cannot do that, then you definitely have a virus. You shouldn't have to pay more money when you already subscribe. Do the windows recovery, after you have backed up all your files. The only thing that will be deleted is your apps.. think of it as computer spring cleaning, and move on. Good luck.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 222 of 232

McAfee, like all antivirus companies, will be the first to tell anyone that their product is not 100% guaranteeed to stop everything out there.   There are several reasons for this problem, infection is one, a problem with Windows is another and I believe there are other reasons why this can happen, however I can't remember them right now.   Support is only doing their job as they are trained to do when they suggest it could be an infection as that is one valid reason why this can happen.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/06/13 7:52:43 EDT AM
shantivan
Former Member
Message 223 of 232

Please do not pay any penny to Mcafee. Money is not solving our problems.  If Mcafee is not able to solve, there are other competitors to look for. All that a customer is asking is service which is very fair morally and ethically as subscription money has been paid. A customer is not asking for a favor!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 224 of 232

There are always free alternatives to paid support.   Some research can help there.

shonabby
Former Member
Message 225 of 232

What you are saying is true, however, after the level two tried every single approach to get in, they were purposely blocked so they could not solve it. This could not possibly be a corrupt Windows File. A randomly corrupt file wouldn't block just the the solutions they tried by chance. Plus, the same thing happened twice before, and was fixable.  This time, it was even more insidious, and blocked the old solutions and the new one.. its not McAfee's fault that they couldn't solve it at this time. It is their fault that they attempted to push the blame on Microsoft. McAfee, basically, gave up! For the amount of money I have paid them, this is totally unacceptable. But I will take it up with them.  I just don't want other people who are experiencing the same thing I did, when and if it is the exact same thing, to have to spend so much time and money.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 226 of 232

I can see your point 😉

esmith
Former Member
Message 227 of 232

This just started happening to me too.  Can someone point me to the best solution in this thread so I don't have to read through all 23 pages of comments.  (I'm new and I do not see a good way to sort for correct answers or best answers)

Thanks

Ellen

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 228 of 232

Ellen I would open a case with Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

What maybe applied when this thread was started in February I doubt applies now as the software changes updates/upgrades often.

However, before you do, I would make sure you don't have any competing software onboard and don't have any malware.

See the last link in my signature below for help with the latter.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/07/13 5:03:07 EDT PM
Peacekeeper
Message 229 of 232

Provided you are not infected with malware which can cause this try running MVT the virtual technician before you call support. See tech support link in the useful links tab above.

shantivan
Former Member
Message 230 of 232

Ellen I was faced with the identical problem. I called Mcafee and they took over my computer remote way and first uninstalled the software and reinstalled.  Since last month, I have no problem.  I suggest you call them and they do a very good job.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community