cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toebin
Former Member
Message 121 of 232

Re: Firewall keeps turning off

OK, I'm having an issue as well with McAfee Firewall turning off. And TBH I have read through this thread and am totally confused about what to do now. My issue started at boot up this morning, I had previously not had any problems. I'm on Win XP sp3 fully updated, McAfee Internet Security 12.1.338 fully updated.

I checked my services and the McAfee Firewall Core Service, McAfee Personal Firewall Service and the Windows Firewall Service are all present but the McAfee services were disabled. I restarted the McAfee Firewall Core Service and set it to automatic which went fine however the McAfee Personal Firewall Service could not be set to automatic or started. It said "unable to open to write to local computer. Error 5, Access is denied"

I went ahead and ran MVT and it found a few issues which were fixed however it said the errors in Firewall it was unable to correct. I reran MVT after the fixes it did and everything was good except the Firewall. The MVT details are below.

Product Name:Personal Firewall
Product Version:13.1.132
Language:en-us
Partner:McAfee
Account ID:*********
Health Check Details
                  Registry                                      OK                   
                  File                                      OK                   
                  Process                                      OK                   
                  Service                2 service(s) incorrect                     
                                Expected Service State Incorrect                             
                            Expected : running
                            Existing : stopped
                              Service: McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                                Expected Service Startup type Incorrect                             
                            Expected : automatic
                            Existing : disabled
                              Service: McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                  COM                                      OK                   
                  Top Issues                                      OK                   
                  SYSTEM                                      OK                   

So the firewall keeps turning off and I keep turning it back on... but it doesn't appear to actually BE on at all if the services are not running.

And after reading this thread I am unsure if I am supposed to uninstall Internet Security, run a "fixit" file and then reinstall Internet Security or not... Please HELP!

Thanks.. in Advance for your assistance !

Message was edited by: toebin on 6/1/13 11:45:04 PM CDT
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 122 of 232

run the fixit first... reboot and then if issue still persists... re-install the McAfee product you must be ok after that

philjoyce
Former Member
Message 123 of 232

Hi, I have got the same problem for the last 2 weeks. It started with the same symptom, the firewall kept desactivating itself for no reason.
2 on line sessions with with McAffee support did not help.
Now it's getting worth, at least 50% of my logins to Internet abort with the following message 'the proxy server does not reply', when my other laptops on the same internet router do not have the same problem (they are protected by other antiviruses than Mcafee total prtection).
I've bee forced to buy a new laptop, as I could not wait any longer for the problem to be sovled.

Really unsactifactory service. message d

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 124 of 232

I'm stuck with the same problem which only surfaced this weekend, as far as we are aware, affecting my Dell Inspiron running Win XP SP3, which should be running McAfee Firewall, and not Windows Firewall, as far as I'm aware, so I don't understand why suggetsed solutions are recommending a Windows Firewall fixit for what appears to be a McAfee software problem.  The Microsoft site make no mention of the fixit impact on other firewall software.

I've just loaded the latest updates, but still no difference.  I urgently require a fix for this in order to feel confident letting my partner continue to use the computer, because the problems that stem from not having a firewall can only be more hardship.

I have a Dell Dimension with the same OS and the same McAfee, which seems to be unaffected.  Looking at the suggested regedits to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, I cannot see any differences between the machines with respect to the McAfee entries, so I'm not at all sure why changes should be required on one, but evidently not the other.

Please can you have an obvious "current issues " and "Solutions to current issues" page on the forums, so we can find our way around, if indeed there is a solution to this one.  Indeed, it would be brilliant if one could register for an email alert once a solution is posted.

Thanks,

Andy J

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 02/06/13 07:04:38 CDT

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 02/06/13 12:57:31 CDT

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 02/06/13 13:11:12 CDT
toebin
Former Member
Message 125 of 232

Thanks for the quick response Vinod_r2. Booted my comp this morning and so far I have not gotten the error that the Firewall is turned off. I'm waiting to see if it pops up or not after running for a little while.

If it does I will run the Windows Firewall Fixit here?
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/?wa=wsignin1.0 
even though my Windows Firewall is present and appears to be running ok ?

I've checked services and both McAfee Firewall Core Services and Windows Firewall services are running. McAfee Personal Firewall Service is still disabled.

It was unusual during my system startup this morning in that the CPU stayed pegged at 100% for a long while after everything had started up. Checking task manager it appeared that Mcshield.exe was the process that was causing this... no clue why it did that... it never has in the past.

edit:

Ok, the warning about Firewall has popped up once so I will go ahead and run the fixit file. However just to be safe I was going to run both Stinger and the Rootkit tools from McAfee first. Stinger downloaded just fine but I am unable to download the Rootkit file, it tells me it is unable to download and to try a different download directory. I've tried several and it still won't download. Any idea about how to get this program? I've never had an error like that from any McAfee product...lol

Message was edited by: toebin on 6/2/13 10:24:56 AM CDT
toebin
Former Member
Message 126 of 232

Just wanted to update the issue and I hope this will be my last entry.

Stinger ran fine and did not find any issues with my computer. I rebooted and checked services, the McAfee Firewall Core services were running but the McAfee Personal Firewall services were not and I was still unable to start them as per the error stated earlier. The Windows Firewall service was running as well.

I ran the MS fixit file as recommended and it said MS firewall could not be set as the default firewall either because of group policy OR that I was running McAfee Firewall. It recommended I uninstall McAfee Firewall and rerun the fixit tool. I did not do that... I just rebooted the system.

After reboot I went back into Services and they were all set as before with the McAfee Firewall Core service running but the McAfee Personal Firewall service disabled. I tried setting it to automatic and this time it LET ME!!!!! After setting it to automatic I was then able to start the McAfee Personal Firewall service as it should have been.

The ONLY McAfee service that is not running is the proxy service.. I don't know if it is supposed to be or not. It's been disabled every time I've checked on services during this whole process. So I'm guessing it's ok to have it that way.

I rebooted again and then ran MVT. It now says everything is fine with McAfee Internet Security and it found NO problems!!!!!! YAY

I will check the comp through out the day to see if I get any further firewall errors ... Cross your fingers that the issue is solved .. ------> XXXXX

Peacekeeper
Message 127 of 232

Mcafee firewall uses or enhances some  features of the windows firewall so the windows firewall has to be started and automatic. It should not be shown as active in the windows firewall control panel icon.

Check the services and whether Base filtering engine and window sfirewall is starte and auto. If not there or disabled try what vinod_r2 said.

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 128 of 232

Hi Tony,

(I've now had a chance to check my third machine)  All three of my Win XP SP3 machines share a 3-user McAfee licence, but only one is exhibiting the problem.  I've run services.msc (corrected earlier typo) on all three, and in each case Windows Firewall is started and automatic, but a Base Filtering Engine is not listed on any of them, and does not seem to be critical for the other two.  Is the Base Filtering Engine relevant to Win XP?

On all three, McAfee Firewall Core Service is started and automatic.  On the working ones, McAfee Personal Firewall is Started and automatic.  On the bad one, it is not started, and listed as Disabled.  On each PC, the two dependencies listed for McAfee Personal Firewall are McAfee Firewall Core Service and Remote Procedure Call (RPC). RPC is also listed as started and Automatic, on all three machines, so the dependencies are all satisfied.

Thanks,

Andy Jones

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 02/06/13 17:12:06 CDT

Message was edited by: hud_engineer on 02/06/13 17:16:02 CDT
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 129 of 232

Please run the fixit tool posted in previous threads.. yes the shared access are important for resident Firewall services

toebin
Former Member
Message 130 of 232

Last update for me. Everything is fixed !!

Hud_Engineer I didn't think running the Windows Firewall fixit would work either as I didn't have an issue with that service or program. It even said it wasn't able to fix anything because the MS firewall wasn't my default program. But whatever it did, it worked. I have had NO issues since running the file.

Find it here http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/?wa=wsignin1.0

Message was edited by: toebin on 6/3/13 9:09:56 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community