cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyke
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Firewall keeps turning itself off

This message "Your computer is at risk" keeps appearing on my screen and I try to turn on my firewall, however it always turns off by itself. I'm on Windows 7, thanks in advance

Screen Shot.jpg

Also I don't see Base Filtering Engine service in services

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Firewall keeps turning itself off

Until this is hopefully spotted by a technician you might want to check this thread to see if it helps:  https://community.mcafee.com/message/280363#280363

Or Technical Support is free and available by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

tyke
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Thanks I've tried it and it didn't work.  I also try to remove and reinstall McAfee and still the same thing happens. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Then I suggest following the second line in the previous post.   Good luck.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

First however why don't you check for malware, try Stinger and Malwarebytes Free in my signature below...last link.

tyke
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

tried both of them no joy.  I'm missing the Base Filtering Engine service

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Is this Windows 7 SP1 and FULLY updated including IE10 whether or not you use it?

Have you been using registry cleaners lately?

The Base Filtering Engine is part of Windows and this is typical of what happens when registry cleaners are used.   If that's the case see if the cleaner has a restore button.

If not then you are going to have to either reinstall Windows or at least contact Technical Support for further advice.  At least that's relatively painless and free of charge, linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community