cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuchel
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Firewall blocking my router on desktop XP machine

Hi, I have an issue with a new router (D-Link 2780) my ISP has provided me with and the firewall on my XP desktop PC which holds all my sharing media.... The firewall stops 2 windows 7 laptops and 3 Xbox's accessing the computers sharing media and files... (The desktop is connected via ethernet along with the Xbox's, Both laptops are wireless) My Mcafee is 3 user internet security 2010. If i disable the firewall on the desktop PC the problem is solved but as this is not an option i am currently having to use a different (not great) router. I am wondering what options i can change in my firewall to stop this problem from happening..

Please help if possible, Im quite new to Mcafee and new to this community.

P.S. both laptops are also internet security 2010 and they both allow sharing and file access...

Also, i have allowed all computers in the home network tab, shared passwords and also accessing the laptops from the desktop work just fine...

Thanks

Stuart

Message was edited by: stuchel adding more Info! on 14/02/11 17:24:35 GMT
16 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Re: Firewall blocking my router on desktop XP machine

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56405-sharing-files-between-win7-xp.html

Not sure if this is a different problem with the firewall.But just to double check.See if this article helps at all.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 3 of 17

newjack wrote:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56405-sharing-files-between-win7-xp.html

Not sure if this is a different problem with the firewall.But just to double check.See if this article helps at all.

Hi newjack,

I will answer for the poster. I answer is no. If that was the problem, turning off the Firewall would have no effect. No, the problem is that the Firewall is blocking the Home Network.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

O.K,that is why I said not sure if this is different problem with the firewall.Sometimes when we do things (myself included) we over look some of the obvious solutions.

stuchel
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for the link newjack, appreciate your trying to help....

My network is fully set up but it is just this one router which is giving me issues...... All other routers i have used have been pretty much plug n play which is why i could not understand why this 1 is giving me grief with regards to my firewall....

Any help.. even apparent obvious solutions are more than welcome to me right now.

Thanks to newjack and thecreator.

Stuart

kryten
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

This might be a settings problem if turning off the Firewall can make it go away.

Can you please try:

- Make sure that the type of IP Rule for the Local Network is "Home";

- Enable the system service port rule to "Windows File Sharing" explicitly;

Thanks,

Mark.

Message was edited by: Mark Misener on 2/16/11 2:01:21 PM CST
kryten
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

Additional Information: Either one or the other suggestion should correct the issue:

- Make sure that the type of IP Rule for the Local Network is "Home";

Network Connections - Home - 1.jpg

- Enable the system service port rule to "Windows File Sharing" explicitly;

Windows File Sharing - 1.jpg

Message was edited by: Mark Misener on 2/16/11 2:03:21 PM CST
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 17

stuchel wrote:

Thanks for the link newjack, appreciate your trying to help....

My network is fully set up but it is just this one router which is giving me issues...... All other routers i have used have been pretty much plug n play which is why i could not understand why this 1 is giving me grief with regards to my firewall....

Any help.. even apparent obvious solutions are more than welcome to me right now.

Thanks to newjack and thecreator.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Since replacing the Router with a new Router, have you reshares all your folders on your computers? In other words, Stop Sharing all folders, then recreate all new Shares.

stuchel
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I was hoping that this was the issue but upon trying it was disappointed to see nothing had changed.... There has been some development tho...

After a lot of moaning to my ISP they provided me with a 6th router which now shares all media fine. Apparently this router is not as good as the one that doesnt allow access to my desktop but its still an 'N' router that is so by far the best of a bad bunch.. I am still hoping to get this issue sorted but its not as urgent as it was.

All help so far has been very much appreciated and will keep you updated on any further developments

Thanks again

Stuart

stuchel
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Please excuse my ignorance Mark Misener, i only saw your post through E-Mail as I replied earlier on a mobile device. I'm unsure if ive tried those although the screens look familiar. When i have a moment and the internet is not being used by one of the children i will give it a try and let you know.

As i said earlier i have had another router from my ISP which is serving its purpose for now.

If you could bare with me and I'll keep you posted.

Many Thanks

Stuart

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community