cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bichrd
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Firewall blocking internet thru VPN

I have home pc having winxp vpn (server) enabled running McAfee Personal Firewall. I use winxp laptop(no firewall) abroad to vpn to my home pc to access files and internet access thru it(some sites can only be accessed from US ip address).
Opening port 1723 didn't let me vpn in consistently. So I added the abroad ip address range as trusted ip addresses. Now I can vpn in and access home PC files but can't browse the web(I can ping and tracert the sites though). Turning off the firewall or security level to open does allow web browsing.

Persional Firewall
Version: 9.1
Build: 9.1.108
Affid: 679
Language: en-us
Last update: 4/16/09

Also, the log shows lot of
"The computer at <site ip> has attempted to access one of your system ports(TCP port nnnn)"

So, if I trust the ip, I can browse the site. But I pretty much have to trust 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 for unrestricted browsing. Other option that works is opening system port nnnn. Again, I have to open ports 1024-5000 since Internet explorer assigns new port on every request.

Ideally, one should be able to give full access to vpn program. Unfortunately, winxp vpn is handled by Routing and Remote Access Server. RRAS is enabled by svchost.exe and svchost.exe already has full-access in the program permission.

Any thoughts will be a big help.

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer
6 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

RE: Firewall blocking internet thru VPN

Hi
Try to follow the instruction and check if it works.

Extract the contents of VPN-Issue.zip to “C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan”
Run copydriver.bat (If you are using vista –right click copydriver.bat and select “Run-As Administrator”
Reboot, Check if it works.
bichrd
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Hi Bala:
Thank you so much for the patch.

When I applied the patch, I got winxp warning

"The software you are installing for this hardware:
ANTIVIRUS
has not passed windows logo testing"

I chose the 'continue Anyway' option. I got following response from the bat file.
"NOTE: mfehidk.sys installed using inf.
WARNING: Skipping attempt to install core driver mfehidk.sys as content driver"

After rebooting, I verified the mfehidk.sys driver in system32/drivers dir. It had been upgraded to 14.0.0.334 version. Unfortunately, it still doesnot allow web browsing for the vpn client machine.

Thanks again for your help. Any other ideas are most welcome!
Warm regards,
Jennifer
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

What VPN client are you using?

Id that a Cisco one?
bichrd
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hi vinod,
Thanks for your help.
I'm using Winxp builtin vpn for both client and server.
Here are the sample setup:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
If you need any more details, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Warm regards,
Jennifer
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Any updates?

I was kind of held up else where sorry
bichrd
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Hi Vinod,
I do not have any updates. For now, I disable the firewall from Remote Desktop thru vpn and enable it when I'm done. Kind of work-around.
Like I'd mentioned, everything (ping, tracert, dns lookup) works only web browsing doesn't work. From the log messages, looks like Mcafee on vpn server is blocking the reply tcp packets sent by the website to the vpn client.
I was hoping somebody could try winxp vpn over Mcafee. Anybody with two WinXp boxes can set it up. It only takes few clicks and there is no software to install since vpn is builtin Winxp. The links above has clear screen-shots. Just leave the 'Use default gateway on remote network' checked in order to use vpn server's internet. That way we can be sure if it is just my setup. I have tried it in another setup but it is same McAfee firewall version with same results.
Thanks again for pursuing this!

Warm Regards,
Jennifer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community