cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmdoran
Former Member
Message 11 of 23

Re: Firewall blocking incomming

Thank you....I do appreciate all the help you've provided.  I will try to contact Tech Support again this evening as I have more time today to deal with it.  Hopefully we will stumble across something.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 23

If you could post any case ID numbers here then my contact could pick them up perhaps.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 13 of 23

Yes...I was given two case numbers...one when I called in and then a second when I called back to say that the things they suggested I try did not work.

1072443958 and 1072473464

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 23

OK thank you.  I haven't heard back yet but will probably overnight my time.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 15 of 23

Ex Brit,

Just got off the phone with Tech Support and after giving pretty much the same info all over again to another first level support person he took my phone number and said a tech would call me back around 5:00PM eastern time.  They wanted some time to check the things I have done and what they think I should do now I guess.

thanks again

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 23

That's good.  Don't panic if they're late. Sometimes they get tied up with the previous case beyond when they planned.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

Ex-Brit,

spent some time with the tech tonight.  He wanted to re-install the software....just in case.  I was skeptical because I have two machines and neither of them can be connected to.  The chances of both computers having the same problem due to a glitch in a software update was just too coincidental for me...but in any event I let them do it.  That did not work.  So I actually had the chance while the tech was on the phone to have my friend try to connect.  He then could see that it didn't work, we turned off the firewall and he saw it connect right up.  So he does agree that the firewall is the problem and he's passing it on to the development team.

I actually had the chance tonight to look at some settings in the update today.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that they have added back the ability to allow for exclusions for the virus scans.  Home users had lost that ability for years.  I amazed that something like that would change again and they don't let you know it.  Where can you find out what the features of the new updates are?  It would be nice to know what they may have given back or taken away in this new update.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 23

Exceptions to a manual or scheduled scan but still no exceptions ot Real-Time Scanning, except on the rare instance that something is identified as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program).

Sorry support couldn't help in the connection problem but at least they've filed it as a problem so hopefully a fix will happen soon.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 23

I've been advised by my contacts that someone will be contacting you soon to try and sort this out.

gmdoran
Former Member
Message 20 of 23

Ex-Brit,

Thought I'd give you an update.  I've been on the phone a couple hours for a few days in a row and then maybe a day off while they do some more research.  Tech support ran a log gathering tool, they also took screen snapshots of the program being blocked and then it working with the firewall off.  So far they have not been able to get it to allow through the firewall.  We've uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled, changed numerous settings added ports, added IP's...still nada.

I know this program is not very friendly to setup but I am tech savy enough to port forward etc and do the things necessary to have it work.  The kicker is that it has worked for me for years and now all of a sudden doesn't.  The game company is convinced that McAfee has removed some setting that I had control of before and set it internally to something else or changed an internal setting that they control that now is seeing information comming in on port 6501 as "suspicious activity" and just shuts it down without giving the user the ability to say....hey it's ok.

It has been passed on to the development team but I still keep getting a lower lever tech back with what to try...when that doesn't work they can't just go forward they have to wait and tell someone else it didn't work.  I wish a higher level of support was contacting me that might have some other ideas of what to do.  They have however admitted that there are firewall issues in this latest release.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community