cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 111 of 192

Re: Firewall blocking Youtube video stream.

Moorlandmagic,

I looked up your machines and can see that they are on different versions. I am going to PM some details. It would be helpful if you can tell me the machine name that does not have the problem.

Thanks,

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 112 of 192

Thanks Doug, I've PM'd you

whatnext
Former Member
Message 113 of 192

Hi Doug,

I would like to add my voice to those complaining about McAfee's silence about this issue. I have been struggling with this problem since mid November (I can no longer remember the date it started) but have only just found this thread. I am underwhelmed that McAfee still haven't solved this issue after over a month.

I have 2 Sony Viao laptops - one of which has no problems, the other was completely crippled. Both run McAfee, so I assumed that the problem lay elsewhere and wasted a lot of time uninstalling and reinstalling software without success.

I had all the problems that Moorlandmagic described in his post on the 14th December. As he indicated this is not just a problem with YouTube and does not just effect large downloads. I have also been unable to log into websites belong to several major financial institutions because the connection would time out and my machine sometimes even failed to load the basic Google home page without refreshing it!

At various stages on this thread people have asked for specific examples of files that fail to download. Whilst I understand why they were asking, the technicians should understand that this is a generic problem not specific to individual files. In my experience, any YouTube file will fail after about 30 seconds. Likewise, any largish download will fail.

I would add that for me it is specific to my browsers: The latest version of Chrome, Firefox, IE (32 & 64 bit). Email software etc works fine regardless of the size of the download.

Also, unlike some of the others here, turning off Net Guard did not solve all my problems. For example, I had to turn off the firewall off competely in order to create my account for this website.

The machine that is working is running:

Sony Viao VGN-NW24S

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

McAfee SecurityCenter Version 11.0 / build 11.0.623 / Affid 649-1

McAfee VirusScan Version 15.0 / build 15.0.294

McAfee Personal Firewall version 12.0 / Build 12.0.345

McAfee SiteAdvisor version 3.4 / Build 3.3.1.143 / Affid: 649-1

McAfee Anti-Spam version 12.0 / Build 12.0.292 / Content version 4071

McAfee Parent Controls version 13.0 / Build 13.0.286

The machine that is not working is running:

Sony Viao VGN-Z5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

McAfee SecurityCenter Version 11.0 / build 11.0.649 / Affid 649

McAfee VirusScan Version 15.0 / build 15.0.294

McAfee Personal Firewall version 12.0 / Build 12.0.345

McAfee SiteAdvisor version 3.3 / Build 3.3.1.129 / Affid: 649

McAfee Anti-Spam version 12.0 / Build 12.0.292 / Content version 3590

McAfee Parent Controls version 13.0 / Build 13.0.319

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder version 11.0 / Build 11.0.416

Notes:

1) I reinstalled the whole McAfee suite on the VGN-Z5 machine today without any beneficial results.

2) I cannot get SiteAdvisor to update to version 3.4 on the VGN-Z5

3) If a higher content version means more recent, then Anti-Spam content seems to be older on the VGN-Z5 despite all my attemps to update it.

4) Despite assurances, I am reluctant to attempt updating SecurityCenter on the machine that works. I am also curious about the meaning of Affid since it is 649-1 on this machine rather than 640 on the other one.

I hope this will help you resolve the issue.

Returning to the subject of McAfee's silence:

Saying that McAfee have too many customers to email is a poor excuse. A quick email to each of the major software magazines would have got the message out there. To me, the silence is (at best) because McAfee assume that only a small number of customers are effected or (at worst) because McAfee are more interested in their corporate image than servicing their customers.

My mother (75) made me uninstall all her McAfee products earlier this week because she felt that everytime your software updated itself something stopped working on her machine. This might be a warning of things to come...

Blaine91555
Former Member
Message 114 of 192

I just had a case where I had to completely disable the firewall to do a download. Up to now disabling Net Guard was enough.

dougr_t3_suppor
Former Member
Message 115 of 192

I recently learned there is a combination of the Firewall and SiteAdvisor that causes this. Since the Firewall and SiteAdvisor both do the lookups, if you have only Firewall installed, NetGuard does the lookup. If you have SiteAdvisor installed, SA overrides the FW and does the lookups. This prevents it from happening twice. The firewall has the bug in the core code. One version of SiteAdvisor has the fix.

Can you please tell me what version of SiteAdvisor you have installed as well as if you have the issue or not. You can get this info from the About screen.

For example: I have SiteAdvisor version 3.4.0.143 and I do not have the issue

For example: I have SiteAdvisor version 3.4.0.143 and I have the issue.

Maybe we can find the good combination and try to get everyone on those versions while we wait.

Thanks,

Message was edited by: dougr_t3_support on 12/27/11 5:08:59 PM PST
nie
Contributor
Message 116 of 192

I have SiteAdvisor version 3.4.0.143 and I have the issue.

I've had Net Guard disabled since I found out that's a temporary fix.     I just turned it back on and went to YouTube to do a fast check on videos and started to have the same problem again (videos not loading).

Thanks Doug!

njo
Contributor
Message 117 of 192

I'm not sure that it is as simple as the version of SiteAdvisor.

On two of my machines I have the following -

Windows 7 64bit - SiteAdvisor 3.4.0.143 - HAS THE PROBLEM

Windows XP with Service Pack 3 - SiteAdvisor 3.4.0.143 - Does NOT have the problem

So, two machines on the same network and with the same version of SiteAdvisor. One has the problem and one does not.

Peacekeeper
Message 118 of 192

But do they both have the same Mcafee version?

njo
Contributor
Message 119 of 192

Yes - All the versions are the same.

SecurityCenter - 11.0.649

Virus Scan 15.0.294

Personal Firewall 12.0.345

SiteAdvisor 3.4.0.143

Anti-Spam 12.0.292

Parental Controls 13.0.319

These versions are the same on my XP machine (no issues) and the Windows 7 64bit machine (severe symptoms if NetGuard is enabled)

Peacekeeper
Message 120 of 192

Ok thanks will leave that for Doug

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community