Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damage
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Firewall and warning

Jump to solution

This might possibly be just a poorly designed UI, but a recent update has caused McAfee Antivirus Plus to start warning me the firewall it disabled. That being because I did not install the firewall component. The icon is grey with a red exclamation. I open McAfee and it tells me my computer is at risk in a big red banner. The only thing with a warning on it is the firewall telling me it is off. Again, not installed. It will also warn me my computer is at risk every time I boot now.

I have checked the box under alerts to not warn me about the firewall. I have completely removed McAfee an reinstalled. No effect.

If I run Virtual Technician, it tells me real-time scanning it off. Every time. Even though McAfee says it is running. Try and fix it and it fails. The EICAR test in a text file is caught real time so ... MVT says nothing about the firewall.

Always having a gray shield with an exclamation detracts from any real problem I might have. If this is just a UI issue it seems to have been around a long time, based on Internet searches for a resolution. Perhaps McAfee should not be constantly warning me about things that are not installed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 13

Re: Firewall and warning

Jump to solution

Ok 6 years ago

suggestion is

If you install the McAfee AV without installing the McAfee Firewall, disable the warning and leave the Windows Firewall running the McAfee warning about not having a firewall running is not displayed.  If you then disable the Windows Firewall as well you get a McAfee warning whether you ask McAfee to disable the warning or not.

This is a solely McAfee problem – the Windows warning about not having a Firewall running can be successfully disabled. 

Seems not a solution really

Post 80 has an official statement

You can make or add to a product idea in consumer ideas

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

I assume you are using a hardware firewall or leaving it to windows firewall? We had a ost a couple years back re this same issue will do some digging and be back soon.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Ok 6 years ago

suggestion is

If you install the McAfee AV without installing the McAfee Firewall, disable the warning and leave the Windows Firewall running the McAfee warning about not having a firewall running is not displayed.  If you then disable the Windows Firewall as well you get a McAfee warning whether you ask McAfee to disable the warning or not.

This is a solely McAfee problem – the Windows warning about not having a Firewall running can be successfully disabled. 

Seems not a solution really

Post 80 has an official statement

You can make or add to a product idea in consumer ideas

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Successfully moved from Service and Support to Personal Firewall > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
damage
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

I guess we are saying this is by design, regardless of how bad the design is.

Yes, I run a hardware firewall. The McAfee firewall was giving me nothing but trouble.

damage
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Based on that thread, six years ago a group of customers asked for a feature and McAfee said "Tough luck." Nothing has changed since.

Poor customer service like that leaves me disinclined to continue with this product or McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

The OS can take some of the blame I think.  One can tell it to ignore firewall settings in Action Center or Security Center, depending on system, but are you aware that most people have a hardware firewall if they use a router so one can and should run a software firewall as well.

Rule of thumb is never run 2 software ones together.

damage
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

The coloration of the panel leads we to believe the message is coming from McAfee, but I have no way of verifying that.

damage
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

I just double checked and the Windows notifications about the firewall is off. Right where I left it years ago.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

I believe you.    As I said, if all you have on currently is a hardware firewall, I would certainly consider using either McAfee (best) or Windows Firewall (2nd choice as it protects 1-way only unless heavily tweaked using 3rd party Windows Firewall Control software).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community