cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CAR53
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Firewall Settings

This is my problem: I have Windows XP with 2 accounts one for me and another for my son. Also McafeeVirus Protection with firewall 10.0. Came down to computer one morning and mcafee had run automatic update on virus protection,went to open up to internet and window pops up saying Internet explorer cannot display the web page. I run diagnostic and says - Windows cannot conect to internet using HTTP,HTTPS or FTP this is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check firewall settings for HTTP(port80,HTTPS(port443),and FTP(port21).You might want to contact your IPS or manufactor of your firewall service.
I contacted my IPS and they said there was no problem and that I had a connection so I tied again with no avail. To find out I can get connected to the internet using my sons account but not mine. Itkeeps popping up cannot display. Help please!:confused:
8 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

McAfee Version

Hi,

Pease post the version of mcafee you have installed in your system.

1. Open McAfee security center by double clicking on the M icon
2. click on the "About" button on the lower right side of the Main Mcafee window
3. Post information you have like versions of the product...

awaiting information happy
CAR53
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Installed items

Security Center Version:9.0 Virus scan Version:13.0 Personall firewall Version:10.0

Site Advisor Version:2.5 Parents Control Version:11.0
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

try this please...

Hi,

just for troubleshooting... using your account...

1. click start>run
2. in the box type "cmd" (without the quotes), click OK
3. a black window will appear type this in ping google.com
4. check for any replies it should provide you an IP address and the result of the PING...

post back the result it should say something like...

packets: sent = 4, received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

take note of the lost packets... if you have 4 and 100% loss then definitely there is something wrong with you network setting...

NOTE: if the above packets are met... try reconfiguring your mcafee perosnal firewall settings... also try reconfiguring your browser settings...
CAR53
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

PING

Packets sent=4 Packets recieved=4 lost=0( 0% loss)
CAR53
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

configure?

not sure in what to do in configuring? sorry:o
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

you do have internet...

Hi,

first check if your ip and your DNS are automatically obtained... do the following

1. click start>control panel
2. in classic view open the icon for network connections
3. right click on the icon for Local Area Connection and choose properties
4. in the local area connection properties window click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click on properties
5. In the next window that opened make sure that Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically both have the green button on them... click apply and then OK...

you can further optimize your browser setting by doing the following...

1. in the control panel window open the icon for internet options (make sure that there is an entry for your homepage section. if you don't have any try putting www.google.com or any website you prefer IE to load upon opening)
2. click on the security tab
3. look into the part where it says security level for this zone and find the default level button, click on it
4. go to the privacy tab click also on the default button
5. go to the connections tab, look for the button for LAN Settings, click on it
6. under the lan settings window make sure that Automatically Detect settings is the only item checked...
7. go to the advanced tab and click on the Restore Defaults button
8. click apply and OK
9. close your internet explorer browser and reopen it... your default home page should load automatically

hope this helps... happy
CAR53
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Connected

I would like to thank you so very much for all you did.:) I wish you well in all you do!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

good to hear...

with this i would presume that you are now able to connect to the internet... glad your issue has been fixed... wish you all the best as well... grin
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community