cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rosemary062
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Firewall 'Settings' is missing.

1.  When I click on Home->Firewall->Settings...there are no options to configure settings. 

2.  The only options are 'Turn On' button and 'Restore Defaults' button.

3.  Firewall is already on.

Any info is greatly appreciated....

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Firewall 'Settings' is missing.

Hi,

It should look like this:

Capture.JPG

What is your operating system and service pack?   What other security software is installed if any?  Are you signed in as an admin-level user or a limited 'Standard' account user?

Any other suspicious activity noticed?   Have you been running any registry cleaners lately?

Please answer those questions so I can best help you.

The first thing to try would be to activate System Restore to go back to before this happened but don't forget to update McAfee and Windows or anything else needing it right afterwards.

System Restore is accessed through Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools or you can start it by going to Start/Run and typing in rstrui.exe and hitting the Enter key.

Meanwhile I would suspect malware so download McAfee Stinger from THIS page and run it to see what it finds if anything.   (Uninstall it afterwards as it needs a fresh installation every time it is used).

Secondly download, update and run the FREE version of Malwarebytes, also linked on that page.  (It can also be done in 'Safe Mode with Networking' if an infection prevents it in regular mode).

rosemary062
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi.

No, it does not look your image.

I did follow the online support options with no luck.  Decided to call in.

I am on line with support now....going on 40 minutes.

He did not ask me near the questions you are.  He is just removing and re-installing the app.

To answer a key question you asked, which caused a light bulb to come on.

I did just install a registry cleaner (iolo system mechanic)  about a week ago.  Could this have removed the registries for the Firewall?

I won’t do it again if it causes problems like this.

Windows7 Home Edition, Service Pack 1

No other security apps

I would much rather know why this happened so it won't happen again, rather than uninstalling and reinstalling.

Thanks so much for responding so quickly.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

System Mechanic could have done this...I can't swear by that of course, but I no longer recommend any registry cleaners since a personal experience caused havoc on my machine years ago.   System Restore fortunately saved the day.

Good luck with Support.

flogger
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Nice to know that. I don't even bother to use to cleaners even the popular ones like Ccleaner. I just do a system recovery every year.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community