cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanBrowness
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Firewall Repeatedly Turns off (Win7) but BFE & WF svcs okay

I notice this issue has been addressed before, but I can't make it through 24 pages of posts to sift out which do/don't apply.  (*) Am running McAfee Total Protection on HP Pavilion Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1, Build 7601.   (1) McAfee Firewall keeps turning off (daily, on average).  Most recently, just turned it back on 10 min. ago. (2) After reading first posts on this subject, ran services.msc to check Windows and found that both Base Filtering Engine service and Windows Firewall service are Started and Automatic.  Given that, should I reinstall McAfee or are any registry adjustments required?  Many thanks.

9 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Firewall Repeatedly Turns off (Win7) but BFE & WF svcs okay

Hi IanBrowness,

Is this the "Windows Security Center" throwing up a (Prompt)? Or is it "McAfee" displaying such?

I might add,there are reasons for my asking before offering suggestion (s).

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/8/14 7:04:16 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 10

Hi Ian,

Please check the status of below services as well,

1. McAfee firewall core Service

2. McAfee Personal Firewall service

These should be started and set to Automatic. Try starting them and see if the issue gets resolved.

Since you say its Intermittent i suspect there might be some conflict present. Double check for any other Firewall apart from Windows.!

IanBrowness
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

(repeating reply mistakenly sent direct)

Hi.  I'm pretty sure it's McAfee.  I      first get something like (to the best of my recollection) "Your      computer is not secure; Click here to check status"  Then I'll see      "McAfee Firewall is turned off; click to turn on"  ...which I do,      and it turns back on without any difficulty, until the next time.       **I'll definitely record the error message more clearly when it      reappears.  Thx.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

That would have been one of my suggestions,as Selvan clearly explained.

I will step back and leave you in the very capable hands of Selvan.

If it is the "Windows Security Center" intermittently not recognizing McAfee. Simply going into Services.msc, and disabling it, and restarting it usually solves that issue.

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
IanBrowness
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Just checked and both McAfee Firewall Core service and McAfee Personal Firewall service were Started and set to Automatic.  Problem is 'intermittent', but firewall rarely runs for more than 48 hrs without turning off.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 10

Hi,

Here's what i can suggest if the issue re-occurs,

> Check the time of the PC when the Firewall turns OFF.

> Goto Windows Event Viewer and see the Administrative events at this time of failure.

> You can figure out the failing service and what is causing this based on which we can proceed further. It will be more helpful if you could post the Screen shot of Eventviewer open.

Regards

IanBrowness
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Re potential conflicts question, just rechecked services running and confirmed nothing else is present identifying itself as a firewall; I've been the only admin on this laptop since unwrapping it and McAfee's the only firewall ever installed.  Regarding catdaddy's last post, when he says 'Simply going into Services.msc, and disabling it, and restarting it'  to what service does he refer?  Thx.

IanBrowness
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks; I'll note details as requested at the next outage or as soon as I'm aware of it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

That would be (Windows)   Security Center- WSCSV- after disabling. restart and set to "Automatic ( D).

Having said this.....It seems that your issue is McAfee related. For some reason, very seldom after an update, you will see a (Red X) below, in your task Bar indicating that you have no Firewall, Anti-Virus, etc.

When actually you do, it is due to Windows Security Center not recognizing such.

The simple fix to resolve that, is as I mentioned.

If I may, add that today is "Patch Tuesday" It is vital for McAfee to function properly, all updates are current. To include todays New Version of Internet Explorer 11, even if you do not use it. McAfee renders it,s UI with it. A new Version of Adobe Flash Player is available as well (13.0.0.182)

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/8/14 8:42:12 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community