cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avant71
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Firewall Blues

I have deleted McAfee , deleted all files in registry , all the sub folders, restored system etc.and  according to system scan, and McAfee Virtual Technician absolutely NO Mcafee products or services are on my laptop. HOWEVER  in the Security Center Panel it sill shows McAfee Personal Firewall as being on, and will not let me disable it. Also It is blocking full access to the programs I use the most. On those programs I get the message that particular apects have " failed to intialize and are being blocked by your firewall". Then sure enough when I run the programs I find they indeed have. This may not be the correct place for me to have posted this, and if so i do apologize, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased this laptop used and the McAfee was already installed. I have purchased McAfee myself before on other computers and on the ones I did uninstall it on( 2 laptops) I never had any problems with the uninstalls and the ones i didnt( wifes laptop) it worked fine, so this is kind of annoying lol .  Thank You

Message was edited by: avant71 on 3/4/14 11:14:24 AM CST
5 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Firewall Blues

Just curious if you had followed the instructions with this document http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

avant71
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I have done what it says to do on that link, ( thanks for trying to help by the way . However that is the problem, McAfee shows up nowhere in programs and features, files, registry, nor anywhere else, EXCEPT in the security center as being the active firewall and no matter what i do i cant disable it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Is it my understanding, that you have attempted to entirely remove McAfee,and all of it,s Components?

If this is the case, when running the Latest MCPR Tool, did it stipulate at the end of it (Clean-up Successful)?

Have you gone into "Services.msc" and checked to see if "McAfee Firewall Core Service"/ "McAfee Personal Firewall Service" is still present? If so, try (Disabling Both). Other than that, hopefully one of the Moderators-Forum Techs will pick up this thread,and advise you further.

Just make certain "Windows Firewall" is on if you are successful.

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/24/14 12:43:53 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
avant71
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

checked everything again, and McAfee still did not show up anywhere except security center.  Re- downloaded removal tool, let it run again, and ...PRESTO!!!  Thanks so much for being patient with me and steering me in the right direction. Thak you so much Tom and CatDaddy !!!

Message was edited by: avant71 on 4/24/14 12:28:44 PM CDT
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

You are perfectly welcome  I am glad all seems to be okay.

All the very Best,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community