cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dazzydaz
Former Member
Message 1 of 26

Contiuously blocking IP address

I'm always Contiuously blocking IP address, the IP address is always the same.

The IP address is 198.47.127. 15 Any advicewould be most welcome.

Done a scan no virus etc.. Abd use McAfee stinger as well just to make sure all came back clean.

25 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 26

Re: Contiuously blocking IP address

Hi dazzydaz,

Welcome to McAfee Communities. You say (you) are always "Blocking" this particular IP Address?

Or is your NetGuard/Personal Firewall doing so? Does this particular IP Address show up in your "Security Report?  Do you have Intrusion Protection turned on, with the "Basic" Setting?

I ask you these questions, due to the fact TrustedSource flags this as a "High Risk" for the Web.

And when attempting to do a search for detailed information about this address. My McAfee throws up a "Malicious Site" Prompt. I would continue to allow McAfee to block this in my honest opinion. We have some Moderators-Techs  whose knowledge of such, Dwarfs mine. Hopefully they will pick up this thread, and further expand on this particular Address.

I might add that I wonder what program it  may be attempting to connect to?

Kind Regards,

CD-CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/17/14 7:47:30 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 26

Where are you seeing this IP recurring?   If it's in Security History then no need to block as that's merely a record of what is already blocked automatically.

dazzydaz
Former Member
Message 4 of 26

Hi, CatDaddy thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes the NetGuard/Personal Firewall is doing this.

How do I know if teh Host Intrusion Prevention is turned on.

I'll get back to you with the Security Report when I get home.

dazzydaz
Former Member
Message 5 of 26

The McAfee Risky Connection Blocker pops up and blocks it.

(NetGuard)

Message was edited by: dazzydaz on 3/17/14 8:32:55 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 26

Host Intrusion Prevention (HIPS), by name, is part of the Enterprise product.  Are you sure this is the home product?

Check that your network is secure if you are using wireless.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/03/14 9:35:35 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 26

dazzydaz wrote:

The McAfee Risky Connection Blocker pops up and blocks it.

(NetGuard)

Message was edited by: dazzydaz on 3/17/14 8:32:55 AM CDT

You can specifically turn off those popups.

if this is the home product open SecurityCenter/

Click Navigation then General Settings and Alerts, then Informational Alerts and uncheck the item as shown:

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/03/14 9:41:22 EDT AM
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 26

Hi dazzydazz,

You are quite welcome. As Moderator-Ex_Brit stated, there is no need to worry since your McAfee Firewall is blocking this connection. I am almost certain that when you check your "Security History" you will see such. To check Security history..Navigate/Security History ( Left side of UI) click on it..may take a few minutes to gather info)

As for how to check your "Intrusion Detection Settings"

Click on the pane "Web and Email Protection" ( View Firewall)  click on "Firewall", then scroll down to when you see "Intrusion Detection",open it and place a checkmark in the "Use Intrusion Detection" with the "Basic" setting, apply.

You should be good to go, as your McAfee Protection seems to be doing it,s job

I just noticed Ex_Brit has (2) valid points. (HIPS) is entirely different than ""Intrusion Detection" which IS in the Consumer Version of McAfee.

Could you please make certain it is "Intrusion Protection" you were talking about?

Also as he stated, you can choose to turn off "Informational Alerts"   However, I personally elect to have them on. As with anything, it is one,s perogative.

All the Best

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/17/14 8:49:29 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dazzydaz
Former Member
Message 9 of 26

OK catdaddy and Moderator-Ex_Brit.

Does this particular IP Address show up in your "Security History"? - NO it does not.

"Intrusion Detection", open it and place a checkmark in the "Use Intrusion Detection" with the "Basic" setting, apply. - Done.

So how much d I need to worry about this?

Message was edited by: dazzydaz on 3/17/14 9:04:10 AM CDT
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 26

In my honest opinion, no need to worry. If the continuous "Pop-ups" annoy you, then I would suggest that you go to "General Settings" as Ex_Brit suggested, and (Untick) the Risky Connections" Informational Alert.

In addition, if you are still concerned, run a scan. Other than that, unless Ex_Brit advises more...I would feel safe.

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community