cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 110

Re: Can't turn off "Windows Firewall: off" alert.

I also need version numbers of our products and theirs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 110

...if you want this issue investigated further.....

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 13 of 110

OK, now I'm confused.  I seem to be getting a mixed message here.  You say you're not part of McAfee and "The Conference call is mainly so that we can beat them with a stick to get things done...".  So who's the "we" here?  What company or entity are you acting on behalf of here?

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 14 of 110

When you ask these questions "When you installed the product did you opt NOT to install the firewall?  If so then telling it to ignore when  warning comes up should work.  If you installed the firewall but turned it off then you will be warned. Anyway the manager needs to know that answer please." who are you asking them for?

BTW, this is one of the 2 questions that the secondlevel tech asked me son McAfee support already knows the answer to this.

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 15 of 110

Again seems like a mixed message here when you ask "I also need version numbers of our products and theirs."  What products are you refering to and who's "our" and "theirs"?  Sounds like a 3rd party software vendor now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 110

I am a volunteer here, working from home.  McAfee don't pay me for my services.  I am merely the go-between here and relaying information and questions back and forth.

For McAfee to investigate they need to know all the details.

If you would rather not deal with it here then do it all through Technical Support online chat which will be more confidential..

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 110

POed_Customer wrote:

When you ask these questions "When you installed the product did you opt NOT to install the firewall?  If so then telling it to ignore when  warning comes up should work.  If you installed the firewall but turned it off then you will be warned. Anyway the manager needs to know that answer please." who are you asking them for?

BTW, this is one of the 2 questions that the secondlevel tech asked me son McAfee support already knows the answer to this.

The person I'm dealing with doesn't know that.  He's in Canada whilst online support is in India.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 110

What McAfee product versions are in use, if any, and what other rival product versions are in use...i.e. the other brand of firewall?   Sorry but I thought I was being pretty clear.

dtess
Former Member
Message 19 of 110

I too have the same issue and, just for the record, totally identify with POed_Customer. What right has McAfee got to dictate how I choose to set-up my PC security.  With a good firewall it is not necessary to run any firewall software.  I have been doing so since I got broadband and have never been hacked.

What is the progress on fixing this?  I downloaded the latest version of software from McAfee yesterday and I get the issue despite the promise back in July that it would be fixed within two weeks!!

Do I too have to change AV vendor?  Mr Kaspersky says his firewall can be disabled without this sort of annoyance.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 110

dtess wrote:

I too have the same issue and, just for the record, totally identify with POed_Customer. What right has McAfee got to dictate how I choose to set-up my PC security.  With a good firewall it is not necessary to run any firewall software.  I have been doing so since I got broadband and have never been hacked.

What is the progress on fixing this?  I downloaded the latest version of software from McAfee yesterday and I get the issue despite the promise back in July that it would be fixed within two weeks!!

Do I too have to change AV vendor?  Mr Kaspersky says his firewall can be disabled without this sort of annoyance.

I think some experts might argue with you when you state that 1 hardware firewall is enough.  It wont protect against anything imported in media or removable flash drives etc.

McAfee turns off Windows Firewall automatically on installation and turns it back on again at uninstallation.   If behaviour is occurring that is considered abnormal then we would need to know exactly what operating system and service pack you have and what version of McAfee - is the taskbar icon square or shield-shaped?

Also if you are running Windows 7 then Windows Firewall can't be turned on or off manually as that part of Security is controlled by McAfee.  This is by design and the result of a partnership between McAfee and Microsoft.

You can turn off McAfee Firewall temporarily however, although I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to do that as it only takes seconds for backdoor attackers to enter a machine.

Note: If you are running another 3rd party firewall then we can't help you as McAfee comes as a suite and you can't selectively install only bits of it, at least as far as the firewall part is concerned.  This was all explained earlier I think.

If you wanted no firewall then why pick a product that comes with one?

Your best bet is to contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links above.  It's free.  There may be a way around it that I am not aware of that may have been developed since this thread was started in the summer.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/11/10 8:10:40 CST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community