cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arrlington
Former Member
Message 101 of 110

Re: Can't turn off "Windows Firewall: off" alert.

This ongoing problem is driving one of my computer consulting clients to distraction. I posted about the problem about a year ago. I was hoping that the purchase of 3 User McAfee Total Protection 2012 would resolve the issue. SUMMARY: The problem persists on only one of the client's 3 computers.

So far, I have removed and reinstalled the product via web downloads at least 4 times.  Along the way, I learned that McAfee had issued a new complete product removal tool, MCPR.exe which is necessary to remove McAfee Total Protection 2011. If the older  MCPR2.exe is used instead, a [ahem] "interesting" string of error messages are produced by McAfee Virtual Technician.

I have carefully reviewed the minimum system requirements for McAfee consumer products in TS100410. The IBM ThinkPad X40 exceeds all of the requirements for 2011 consumer products. The machine is running Microsoft Windows XP SP3. It has 1.24 GB RAM, while a minimum of 512MB is specified. It has a Pentium processor running at 1.40 GHz. The minimum procesing speed swpecified is 1 GHz.

The persistent error is the frequent alert, "Third Party Firewall is Off." The Windows firewall is ON. However, the software incorrectly asserts that "Other Firewall: OFF"  I also still get the incorrect error message "You have installed Norton Internet Worm Protection. Click here to install this feature from McAfee." BTW, there are no Norton or Symantec antivirus products installed on this machine.

Has anyone been able to determine the root cause of this annoying "boy crying wolf" message? I join the chorus of users that desire to ignore this nag by clicking a checkbox, particularly because all I desire is McAfee's antivirus protection.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 102 of 110

.MCPR2 is extremely old.  You should always use the latest download version as it is updated frequently, so that could be a factor.  Try repeating the uninstall via Control panel, MCPR fresh download, reboot and reinstall from the online account.

The advertised 2012 consumer product is actually 2011 relabelled so nothing has changed in that respect, something we are not happy with but McAfee marketing department are, so we can't get that to change.  The actual 2012 product isn't even in beta testing yet.

It's not clear from what you said exactly what is giving the warning regarding a Norton product but it might be an idea to run their removal tool too, maybe some Norton software was installed at one stage, even a trial perhaps and their software is not easy to uninstall.

Meanwhile Technical Support is now free by phone or online chat should you need it.   Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/11/11 4:05:56 EST PM
Arrlington
Former Member
Message 103 of 110

Thanks, I already completed the tasks described in the first paragraph. BTW, I'm not surprised to learn about marketing's input. Back when I first made an entry about this problem, I had purchased the 2010 product relabeled as 2011.    I'm testing making all of the possible updates for the Microsoft .NET Framework.

I appreciate the tip about the Norton removal tool. I'll test that out shortly and describe the results.

I'm still puzzled by the fact that the clients other two Windows XP machines, (which have more "horsepower") are not nagging the client about this nonexistent problem.

I have not heard good things in this forum about McAfee's telephone technical support, so I'll consider it only as a last resort. I used to provide telephone technical support and I took pride in a very high first call resolution rate. American customers could understand me, too.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 104 of 110

Well good luck.

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 105 of 110

WOOHOO!  Count me as one happy customer. First, the checkbox to turn off the firewall warning now actually works, and as a bonus, the product now correctly reports that the Microsoft Firewall is working.  Perhaps user forum input is being paid attention to by McAfee management.

Second, the idea of using the Norton product removal tool apparently worked. I researched and learned that the IBM ThinkPad X40 notebook was released circa 2005. So, I selected the removal tool for Norton's 2004 and 2005 products from the long list of possible options in the link above. The tool requires considerable time to remove all of the possible MSI values and it does not automatically reboot. But, it does clean out old Symantec applications!

I'm glad to have this problem resolved in my case. I hope that the fix is stable.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 106 of 110

That's great, glad things are working again.

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 107 of 110

I note that I updated the Microsoft .NET Framework to 3.5, which requires considerable time to download and install. I think that is a good idea, as it may have helped in passing state values between the different programs. Again, thanks for the tip on the Norton removal tool https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&lg=engl.... Many computers have some Norton security product preinstalled on them, and simply removing it via the Control Panel appears not to be sufficient.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 108 of 110

It's been a while since I had XP except in a virtual environment but if I recall I had several versions of .net installed because different applications asked for diifferent versions.   The later versions aren't necessarily backwards compatible and it isn't insecure to have several installed.

In other OS's some .net versions are already installed and only need to be activated via Installed Updates > Turn Windows Features On and Off - For instance Vista has .net 3.0 ready to be activated.   But that doesn't mean that other versions aren't needed for the aforesaid reasons.

Some may have been offered by Microsoft Update and refused/hidden, in which case they are easily taken care of.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 109 of 110

Marking this discussion as 'Assumed Answered' and Locking it. As it is over 6 years old and has totally lost it's substance.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 110 of 110

Successfully moved from SecurityCenter to Personal Firewall > Discussions

As it is more appropiate in this area.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community