cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 61 of 110

Re: Can't turn off "Windows Firewall: off" alert.

That's the message that I get too.  No matter what you do you can't get rid of it.  Even though the McAfee setting misleads you to thinking you can disable it.  BTW, who does McAfee think they are to force computer users into running a useless and performance robbing software firewall just so that some moronic programmers heavy handed code can find and verify that it's running.  I think everyone that's chimed in on this thread firmly believe that running a firewall is an extremely important thing to do to protect their network, their computer, their data, and ultimately their identity. So much so that many of us have dedicated a piece of hardware to do the job instead of some buggy piece of someone's code stealing CPU and memory away from already performance challenged PCs.  Moreover, instead of performance robbing code from someone that we collectively have come to not trust anymore based on their poor decision making. Please have McAfee remove this bug ASAP, including the erroneous alert and fixing the settings that mislead users into thinking the alert is turned off.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 62 of 110

Hi there,

Your intial post stated that you have different firewall protecting your security, did you even opt for the Windows firewall to be set off in this case ???

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 63 of 110

I do in fact have Windows firewall turned off and have had since I first installed to OS.  My whole point regarding firewall is that I run a STRONG RELIABLE HARDWARE BASED FIREWALL between my cable modem and my PC network of multiple machines.  I do not want any unreliable poorly perfoming software only firewall like programs running on my PCs.  I feel I have the right to make this choice and feel that McAfee (and any other virus software vendor for that matter) should support me in choosing to run my PC network in this maner.  Futhermore, McAfee should not try to force me to run either their software only firewall or any other software only firewall, like Microsoft's, on any of my PCs through heavy handed, buggy, and misleading virus software product design.  It's my choice, not theirs.  I know what's best for my network, not McAfee.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 64 of 110

Could you please provide us with a screen shot your security center (with the alert) so as we could get a picture of the exact issue. .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 65 of 110

Just use the picture you posted yourself.  That's exactly the pop up I get.  Enough people have poste this same problem occuring on their PCs.  Please don't play the game of trying to give mindless time wasting task to go do hoping you can loose visability of this bug and then never fix it.   To get the picture you posted you've obviously reproduced the symptom.  Now, have the programmers that caused it in the first place with their poor design decision go and fix the problem instead of trying to waste more of my time.

Peacekeeper
Message 66 of 110

Agreed my pic is shown here https://community.mcafee.com/message/169198#169198 it is the same as POed_Customer

Two choices techs suggest

1 install mcafee firewall and disable it. Set warning to do not notify.Top bar stays grey

2. Set mcafee firewall to fully open allow all. That should be same as no firewall.

These suggestions have not been checked but they feel reasonable suggestions

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/01/11 7:10:11 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/01/11 7:39:53 AM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 67 of 110

Sorry about the inconvenience. I'd asked Dinz to grab it for me, didn't realize it was already in here.

POed_Customer
Contributor II
Message 68 of 110

Peacekeeper, thanks for listening regarding the screenshot.  As evidenced by the last couple of post I'm encouraged to see that this problem is finally getting some attention from McAfee instead of leaving us customers and "volunteer board moderators" high and dry for so long.

Here's my thoughts on McAfee's tech's 2 suggestions.

Suggestion #1 - This idea totally misses the mark.  I don't want a software firewall.  Refering back to my original posts for this problem (page 1) I'm not going to install or pay for McAfee products that I don't want and don't intend to use. Also, disabling the "firewall off alert"  does nothing.  It still alerts even when it's set not to.  This is the basis of my coments regarding misleading settings.

Suggestion #2 - I'm not going to install McAfee firewall and set it to open all.  That's just plainly a waste of everything on my PC, memory, CPU, etc. for the simple reason of trying to avoid the reported symptom of the bug(s) reported.  Please fix the bug(s) instead of merely trying to bury the symptoms on my PC and make me go away.  This is McAfee's problem to invest resources in fixing not my problem to spend my valuable resources trying to avoid at not cost to McAfee.

The inherent ineffectiveness of these two suggestions really makes me thing that McAfee's techs are not well versed in either software problem solving or customer oriented service.  Perhaps this is part of the root cause this problem has gone unaddressed for so long.  Some training one these areas or maybe both are sorely needed.

Peacekeeper
Message 69 of 110

My apologies I remember now you did not want the overhead of a firewall installed. Though the suggestions would do what you want they involve installing a firewall which was not what you wanted.

superbug
Contributor
Message 70 of 110

This is the first time I have visited these support forums. I have the exact issue mentioned here and it is driving me nuts. What REALLY caused me to blow my top however was the belligerent and ignorant attitude of ex_brit. This should be a simple process - user posts fault, mod gets pertinent details, user posts them. No more than a couple of weeks later the problem should be fixed. Instead we get 5 pages of stonewalling and bleating from someone who isn't even a mcafee employee about how hard done by he is, threats not to bring the issue up at all if he doesn't like your tone and no progress whatsoever. I am going to uninstall this useless piece of crap as soon as I finish this, mainly so that I don't have to subject myself to ex-brit's diva like attitude. Congratulations mate, you lost mcafee another customer without even trying. I'd give it up frankly, they don't pay you and it obviously pisses you off. Go down the pub instead, let off some of that angst. This job is killing you ... and more importantly, us.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community