cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itnovice
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Can anyone please help me with firewall?

I think  I have/had a virus - Live Security Platinum which appeared also as a blue and yellow shield icon so I shredded it but now McAfee firewall won't stay on. McAfee technical support took control of my screen but advised me to contact Microsoft support who referred me to this site. Have I shredded the wrong thing? McAfee scan identified 1 virus and I thought it was fixed but now it says my computer is at risk. Can anyone please advise me? Many thanks ...

Mary

3 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can anyone please help me with firewall?

Hi Mary,

Please do apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Since you have already contacted the Technical support, I will ping the respective team to assist you as soon as Possible. Thank you for your patience.

djfil
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

McAfee's Firewall requires the Windows Firewall service to be working.  Check if it's actually there using the following steps...

Start > Run (or WindowsKey+R)... type 'services.msc'

Search the services for "Windows Firewall" (or "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" if XP).

If the service is missing, you proably have (or had) another infection known as ZeroAccess.  Good luck.

itnovice
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Dear Jai,

Thank you so much for all your help and advice in dealing with this matter. I do not know whether this message can be seen by others so will make sure that I let people know how professional and patient you have been.

Mary

I see it does appear on screen so must add that after sorting out the firewall problem Jai advised me that there was a problem with my Windows updates and as I was having so much trouble getting help from Microsoft he attempted to resolve that issue also. He has found me some contact numbers to try and has offered further follow up to see if they manage to sort it out even though this is not a McAfee problem. This has been time consuming for him and I am not knowledgeable with computers but he explained everything very carefully and I never felt patronised.

Exemplary support - many thanks!

Message was edited by: itnovice on 04/09/12 08:40:30 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community