cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
everway9
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Blocking a programs internet access whilst allowing local network access.

Jump to solution

I'm new here so a big HELLO to everybody.

I hope y'all doing good today.

I have the latest version of McAfee Live Safe and would like to block a programs internet access but allow it to still access other computers on my home network.

Is this possible?

If any of you experts here could spare a moment of your time to offer some advice I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Re: Blocking a programs internet access whilst allowing local network access.

Jump to solution

​,

Actually to be honest, that would be better answered by contacting McAfee Consumer Support

Via Phone/Online Chat being by far the quickest.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

9 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

​,

I personally utilize my (Parental Controls) feature to block persistent Tracking cookies/Sites from Aol. However as far as still being able to show on your 'Home Network', I am uncertain as to what you mean?

I might add that you can also block Programs via your Personal Firewall. Open your McAfee interface Navigation/Firewall/Internet connections for programs/expand/edit/ and block.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Moved from General Discussion to Personal Firewall>Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
everway9
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi catdaddy.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain properly. I'm not much good at explaining things. ;/

I have Plex Media Server. It needs local network access so I can stream movies etc to my TV and other computers on my home network. Plex also connects to the internet to retrieve metadata for the video files in its library and to allow remote connections for playing media to a smart phone or laptop when you are away from home.

I do not want Plex to download any meta data nor do i need or want anyone else to have access to my Plex library.

So I would like to block any internet access for Plex but still be able to stream to other devices on my local/home network.

Or should I maybe say this instead. If I block Plex in McAfee firewall will it be blocked for local network as well as internet?

Thanks again.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

​,

Actually to be honest, that would be better answered by contacting McAfee Consumer Support

Via Phone/Online Chat being by far the quickest.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
everway9
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

OK will do. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out. It's appreciated.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome

Kindly inform us what Technical Support has to say, for future reference.

Thank you,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
everway9
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Yeah sure.

everway9
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Hello!

I'm just reporting back after talking to McAfee live chat regarding this for anyone else who has the same question and have stumbled upon my thread.

After speaking with an adviser I'm afraid that I am still no further forward in my quest to see if I can block PLEX from accessing the internet whilst still allowing PLEX to connect to my intranet (local networked TV). The adviser did not seem to be able to understand what I wanted to do. Maybe it's just me that cant explain things properly

Anyway... I'm not quite sure why I have not already just blocked PLEX's access to the internet and seen what happens. Maybe it was because I just wanted clarification for whether it would work or not.

Slightly off topic....... as I was chatting to the adviser I also asked him/her if there was a way to exclude a folder from the 'Real Time Scanning' process. The answer is NO. You can only exclude files NOT folders.

I am aware of the risks involved in excluding a whole folder from RTS but I see no reason why McAfee shouldn't have such an option available in LiveSafe. If McAfee are concerned that a user with little knowledge of the potential risks involved in excluding a whole folder then they should implement a warning message popup to warn of the risks involved in excluding whole folders.

I do not class myself as an advanced user. But to basically force advanced users or anyone else who does know the potential risks to have to exclude all the files in that folder one by one until all files were added to the exception list is, in my opinion, a bit user 'unfriendly'. You can imagine the amount of time that it could potentially take to exclude each file one by one.

Some people may say... 'Well you shouldn't have folders which contain a lot of potentially malicious files on your computer. We know what your doing' But I say, well, it's user discretion really. Isn't it?

LOL... sorry I just realized that I'm ranting on and on. I may post the RTS folder exclusion somewhere else in a feed back section somewhere. Would you know where would be best to post?

Thanks for reading.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Locking this discussion as it has been 'Correctly Answered'

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community