cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krimson
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Apple Mobile Device

I just got a iPod Touch and when I open iTunes it states "This iPod cannot be used because Apple Mobile Device service is not started".  I tried a number of different fixes, but I was pointed to McAfee being the issue.

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Apple Mobile Device

What version of McAfee are you using, 2009 (square taskbar icon) or 2010/11 (shield-shaped icon)?

Krimson
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Shield shaped icon.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Moved to Personal Firewall 11 as the most likely spot for this question.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection to expand

Click Firewall

Click Program Permissions

Scroll through the list (which can be quite large)

Locate 'MobileDeviceService' and ensure it has FULL permission.  Use the Edit button if necessary to change it to full permission.

If it isn't there then click Add and navigate to it at C:\Program Files\common files\Apple\mobile device support\applemobiledeviceservice.exe

In a 64-bit machine it's C:\Program Files (x86)\ etc. etc.

If your drive is not C: alter that accordingly.

Also check the service is started and automatic by going to Start/Run and enter services.msc and click OK or hit the Enter key.

Locate the Apple Mobile Device service near the top of the list and make sure it's Started and Automatic.  (Double-click it to edit).

Whilst I don't have an iPod I do have an iPad and I'm pretty sure this would apply to all Apple devices when used with a PC.  I'm surprised that you didn't see prompts to configure access when the software was first installed.  Maybe you missed them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/12/10 3:45:27 EST PM
Krimson
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

When starting I get "The Apple Moble Device service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."  I have already removed and reinstalled iTunes and Quicktime.  Any other help?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Hmm, that's puzzling as mine is started even though I'm not using it at present.   Was the service showing in the Firewall as full permission?.  In Services.msc go to the Recovery tab and make sure that it's set to restart in all instances as shown in the attached pic (click to enlarge).

Failing that I'm at a loss and maybe your best bet is either Apple Support or Technical Support Chat which is linked under Useful Links above.

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

By the way I trust that you are signed in as an Adminstrative level user?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Also - still in services.msc go down the list to TCP/IP Netbios Helper and make sure that is Started and on Automatic too.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community