cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 1 of 9

Akamai Technologies blocked as a Risky Connection?

I noticed in my "Security History" that the IP Address-  23.66.187.120- Port 56264 was blocked by Personal Firewall?

It is my understanding that a large majority of Companies use Akamai for Logistical purposes (Server Resource) to deliver content

to it,s end Users..( To include such Companies as Trend Micro Anti-Virus to deliver their (Anti-Virus Updates)  also to include McAfee as well.

If you were to ping  "Download.McAfee .com" you will see that ( a207.x.akamai.net [ 23.0.160.42] recieves the ping, statistics.

Could the reason for this particular occurance be that, this IP Address was "Spoofed" leading McAfee to block it?

I also realize that the IP Address for the "McAfee Update Launcher is  169.69.12.221. And if I am not mistaken, updates are delivered through

(Port 443) ?

I researched Akamai on numerous Sites, to include Wikipedia. It seems to be Highly regarded and widely used by major Internet Companies.

However there has been stipulations of how it collects data,and stores it. Here is a link to one of my searches below.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0geuqQDfKlS.HgACUVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEwM3FoZm9lBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2x...

Any insight on this particular instance would be considered very helpful.

I was simply wondering as to the reason it was determined to be risky, especially when McAfee utilizes their services.

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
8 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Akamai Technologies blocked as a Risky Connection?

Didn,t see the edit button, so will add a reply. I might add that my "Traffic Controller" is set to "Monitored" It has served me best as it is not too lax, yet not to restrictive in allowing programs access.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

It's 'Edit Discussion" over at the right side when it's the first post.  

I can only assume that firewall regards the source as suspicious perhaps because of the route it took to get to your machine or the port it's trying to enter via?   Pure speculation as we have no inkling of exactly how the firewall works and collects logs.

Tech Support might be more knowledgeable about this.    I disregard that area otherwise one could become quite alarmed by all the blocked traffic.

Hayton may spot this and he has a lot more knowhow than I on this sort of thing.

I see Akamai in use when I am downloading software sometimes....so unless a download is in progress, such activity may be regarded as suspicious by firewall, just a thought.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/12/13 6:57:36 EST AM
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Once again, thanks Ex_Brit   I tend to think like you in regards to monitoring blocked connections. It is simply that when I noticed it being Akamai it got me wondering. I like you assume it could have been the "Port" for some reason it was attempting to access.

But as always, I think it best to ask you and the other Moderators as your knowledge of such is most expanded. Well, gotta get ready for Cardiologist appointment. My ICD discharged several times yesterday, and they need to interrogate it.

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy         Also thanks for pointing out how to use the "Edit" button.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

You're welcome.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

It may depend on the overall firewall settings but blocked connections can be from anyone including McAfee and Microsoft (as I see on mine). It's all down to which ports they're trying to come in on.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

It has been difficult to take the time to get on the computer, with family and all .  Just wanted each of you to know, that sometimes the appreciation for your assitance seems to go unoticed. Please know that from this

"Pita" it is truly just that..."Appreciated" Especially taking your personal time, to resolve issues for us all even during the "Holidays"

I marked this particular Question as "Assumed Answered". As in my opinion is....

Thank you all,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Thanks and all the best 😉

trickyfi
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have written a detailed article about Akamai Netsession Interface. Hope It would be helpful for you guys. 

Have a read: https://trickyfi.com/akamai-netsession-client/

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community