cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patriciann
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

AT&T contracts with McAfee for my internet security software -- YIKES!!!

Doing the 'same behavior' expecting different results is the definition of INSANITY.  I went through the horrors of McAfee with my AT&T service for two years and then after complete exhaustion I collapsed and out of desperation went with Norton Internet Security and enjoyed an entire year of safe web surfing but when it expired I thought I would give McAfee another try seeing how AT&T provides it as part of my internet service package.  McAfee allows me to block any of its own programs on my computer from having internet access but BLOCKS my having ANY ACCESS to some critical Windows programs that expose me to potential problems with my internet security when online by graying out my having any access at all to them in any form or fashion.  I'm about ready to throw in the towel once again and simply go and try other security software to find some needed peace of mind while online but I do want to give McAfee another try before I admit to INSANITY and save what is left of it by finding a security software I can work with.  It seems anything beyond AT&T offering this product as part of my internet service package everything in terms of help is set up to force me to pay and AT&T just jacked up its prices as it is and I am coping with severe disability with limited income so it makes for an awful situation after a while as I went through misery for two full years last time before finally giving up and switching to a security software that worked well for me at only $25.00 for the full year with good support at no additional cost. 

Which of the McAfee programs showing in the pics I share may I block having access to the internet as I am using only one, single laptop connected to AT&T's internet service and I don't use any Domain or such where it is just myself connected to the public internet with my needing to be safe where McAfee BLOCKING ALL ACCESS to my being able to change the internet access settings to some critical Windows programs where they are 'grayed out' and I am denied any and all access -- cannot even delete them -- sure feels INSANE to me as it is anyway and I hope I can find a way to make my internet surfing safe with McAfee as I was allowed to do with the other security software I went with that has expired leading me to once again try the McAfee that AT&T provides as part of my internet service package. 

Thanks for any help ahead of time. 

Patricia

17 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: AT&T contracts with McAfee for my internet security software -- YIKES!!!

All I can say it that the version that AT&T provide you is older than what is currently available to them.  There's nothing McAfee can do about that unfortunately as AT&T controls the software and the way it acts so it's they that you should be blaming..

I have SecurityCenter v12.8, yours looks like 11.x - you can tell be clicking 'About' at the top right.   I have full control of which programs get what permission in mine.  Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator-level user.

Highlight the object you want to change and then click Edit.

I would contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They may give you insight on how to alter settings.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/08/13 9:33:57 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 18

Who or what is telling you that you need to alter internal Windows processes and how they relate to security software?  Which specific 'Windows Processes' are you trying to alter settings for?     You shouldn't concern yourself with what McAfee sets for Windows processes as that is done for your own protection. The software has always had default settings that apply for most Windows internal processes and does what it does through agreement with Microsoft.   Those settings can't be altered.  However, Technical Support might know more.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/08/13 10:56:38 EDT AM
patriciann
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

The programs McAfee refuses me any access to or even the ability to delete are as follows and I am not on any network so there is no need for these programs to be given full internet access unless McAfee is treating my system as if it were a network and not a lone laptop used by only one person or it should at least allow me as the owner of the computer to choose what I feel safe allowing access to and to block this is more a virus behavior than a user friendly internet security software -- but I plan on learning about this in more detail this go around as I have no desire to ever be subjected to this again. With Norton I was given full access to all rules and processes and could alter them as I needed to allow for customized protection for my specific computer configuration -- which is how a security software program should be set up I would think as the owner of the computer knows their own configuration and needs for security. It is that I am forbidden any access or the ability to even delete these to trouble shoot to determine which programs need access and which ones can be restricted. To be treated as a connected network when it is only one laptop to the internet then security should be allowed to be customized for that particular set up -- or at least options and access should be allowed or an explanation as to why the owner/operator of the system being protected is being denied any access at all. It just is screwy this way but I will dig around and learn what I can. I only wish the emphasis were more on user 'friendly' and not locking the user out of access to the public internet by these programs without choice.

Windows Logon Application -- full access without anyway to alter or delete this.

Windows Start-Up Application - same

Userinit Logon Application - same

Local Security Authority Process - same

Host Process for Windows Services - same

Services and Controller app - same

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 18

Why are you trying to alter Microsoft protected settings?  If you meddle with how Windows works you are bound to end up with an unworkable system.   Those are all protected Windows processes and as such McAfee wont allow you to alter them - they are copyrighted.  You should be asking these questions of Microsoft, not McAfee.

But why anyone would want to meddle with internal Windows processes I have no idea, except perhaps someone who wants to defeat Windows Security and I hope that is not the reason here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/08/13 9:09:52 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 18

Moved from Community help to Personal Firewall as this was originally about firewall permissions.

patriciann
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

I'm sorry, I should have made myself MORE CLEAR -- it is the settings on McAfee where it prevents me from limiting access of these programs to the internet and NOT THE PROGRAMS THEMSELVES I wish to ALTER. McAfee does NOT even allow me to delete these programs from its list of programs it gives COMPLETE AND TOTAL ACCESS TO THE INTERNET and it is ONLY THIS I wish to alter. McAfee does not allow ANY ACCESS to modify the security settings to these few programs but it IS NOT the programs themselves I seek to alter -- that would be INSANE as my attempting to resolve this issue seems to be also.

Thank you -- I am learning that I perhaps will once again settle for a security program that works with me as the end consumer to allow me the access to set up my security as I need it to be for my protection.

I am beginning to see how this issue may be extremely confusing to those loyal to McAfee who are comfortable with this product for their needed security issues. For those of us not so comfortable we can take some comfort in knowing there are other products on the market we may seek out to meet our needs more effectively than McAfee seems able or willing to do.  I am glad I have revisited this issue as each time I do I become better educated on the realities of this effort.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 18

The list shows all processes allowed (or not, or limited) in the firewall.  Many are Windows internal processes and are allowed whatever they need to function and it's not up to us the users to alter such settings.   All firewalls act the same way but others may not display things in the same manner as McAfee.

It's not up to you to decide what  internal processes are allowed or not, these are allowed what they require through arrangement with Microsoft.

If another brand allows you to meddle with such processes then I wouldn't want it around as it would be potentially dangerous.    The end user does not always know best I'm afraid.   No offense meant.  

patriciann
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

When a security product I am to 'trust' treats my computer as a network instead of the single laptop it in fact is -- then I see red flags and wonder why needed access to correct this program error is not allowed. 

Here is the product related information to the versions provided by AT&T.  Pics attached:McAfee Product 01.jpg

McAfee Product 02.jpg

McAfee Product 03.jpg

McAfee Product 04.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

Network?  Full access simply means the process can communicate two ways, in and out.   That's sounds quite normal to me.   Anyway technicalities such as what we are getting into are best discussed with Technical Support as I am merely the meseenger here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/13 9:51:32 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community