cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattfire
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

2576 blocked suspicious incoming connections?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.... I find forums tricky! So here goes.

I just experienced a glitch in my pc where my screen turned to gray and black vertical bars. I rebooted my pc on reflex and all worked fine. So on the logic something was a bit off I ran malware bytes and a mcafee quick scan which both turned up no infections etc. I then checked my mcafee security history which shows in the last 7 days I've had 2576 suspicious incoming connections blocked. It also shows a whopping 1073 in the last 24 hours! Now I am fully aware these are being blocked and that means my pc is secure. However I'm not exactly ok with being bombarded with suspicious connections! Can anyone help tell me where these might come from and how I can prevent them? Seemingly they are attempts to infect my pc.

If it's of any help here are some of the I.P. addresses:

The above are just the unique IP's from the last TWENTY FIVE results on my security report. Twenty five out of 2576! Now I don't know much about internet security so I'm unsure whether to panic my face off right now or just kick back and relax so I'm going with the panic approach!

These connections happen whenever the computer is turned on. It's not just when the internet is in use and I should point out the connection attempts are ONGOING! The last reported connection attempt is 17:10:47 07/09/2014 and it's currently 17:22. It seems my internet activity causes spikes in attempts. I'd very much like to know what I can do to stop this and if I'm being targeted by something malicious.

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2576 blocked suspicious incoming connections?

I moved this to Personal Firewall because it is that which is stopping all those incoming connections and it's something we all see.  All it means is your firewall is working well.

Now that does not preclude the possibility that you may have some malware onboard as there are many ways of those things getting into your machine.

Try running some  extra 3rd party tools such as AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free, both listed in the last link in my signature below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

mattfire
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I've run malware bytes and done a full McAfee scan and both say nothing is there. So on that area I'm fairly confident but my main concern is whether these constant attempted connections are normal or if they're high volume and cause for concern. Another 676 since I posted my last message.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

We all see them as I said, I wouldn't worry about it.     If you are really worried and want a professional to clear it, run Hijackthis and post the log as instructed lower down that last link in my post signature above.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Hi

I just checked few of the above mentioned IPs and most of them are related to Server that your web browser normally connects / shares information with. This is completely normal and based on number of connection attempts i get an impression that you are a very active Internet user. Watch the below video for more information on this.!

Collusion for Chrome - YouTube

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

Hi, I know that this question is from years ago now but I'd just like to know if you ever got a definitive answer to it. I have discovered the exact same thing as you described & I want to know if it is normal or not.

Thanks

BradKirby
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

This is normal behavior, especially if your firewall settings are set to maximum.. I have 2,572 blocked in last 7 days,

With that said, I was heavily compromised with McAfee running (but it was quite a complex/targeted hack).

After this nightmare, a few notes for McAfee:

1) I don't understand why my own IP address or DNS is considered suspicious - has it been masked?

2) There are no data points on thee alerts and therefore it is very difficult to separate legitimate potential threats from standard web browsing.

3) There is very limited information on the IP addresses reported.

4) There is no export functionality for us to pull the data and complete our own analysis, not even a Copy function!. For example, I could easily pull data from an IP API service and compare to identify threats; instead, I would need to manually type out each address every week. 

Therefore it's great to see that suspicious activity is being blocked, but for that one time that a hacker gets into my computer through an unprotected port and robs me... well this data is pretty useless!!!

Thank you for a crap product,.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community