cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eed
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Please HELP with Parental Controls

I recently renewed my subscription with McAfee. Everything was working fine until I downloaded this new version of the software. I am no longer able to access my administrator account to edit my password when I go through the PARENTAL CONTROLS and then click on ADVANCED. The SWITCH USER function is no longer available. I am also NO LONGER able to set up secure use of the internet for my children-which is the main reason I invested in the software!

I have read the 2009 McAfee booklet McAfee have available as a PDF file but that has been NO help. It states in the manual that I should be able to access the EDIT feature for each account in order to set up each members viewing allowance etc but when I do go on to the EDIT feature, it only has two options which are 1. Image filtering and 2. Age Appropriate Searching. There are no other options to even set up a password for these accounts. When I go on the USERS SETTINGS, the only options available there are EDIT and REFRESH. I am NO longer able to ADD or DELETE a user.

The programme recommends on the bottom of the USERS SETTINGS pane-that I should add WINDOWS users. I should NOT have to do this as I didnt have to do it before. The programme used to allow me to set up a password for my children and when they went on with that password, they were not able to access chat facilities on my desktop because McAfee used to stop the programmes once the children tried accessing them. Besides, if I wanted to set up Windows user accounts to make my children's internet experience safe, I would have done that and NOT bought in to this useless programme.

Please DO NOT recommend that I call the Tech support line. I have noticed that it states calls cost a pound a minute. I cannot afford that now on top of the price I have already paid for the programme. I find it unfair to have to pay that when it stated on the download page that ALL of my settings would remain the SAME only to realize once I had been conned into buying the programme that this was not the case!
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Please HELP with Parental Controls

FYI you can use Technical Support online chat free of charge at any time 24/7. They have the ability to escalate any problems to a higher level then we can here in the forum. Linked at top left of this page or in my signature.

I'm not a Parental Controls expert but reading the user guide (page 141 onwards) linked at the top of this section or here http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=225284 it states

"Note: To configure Parental Controls to protect your children,
you must log into your computer as a Windows administrator. If
you upgraded from an older version of this McAfee product and
are still using McAfee users, you must also make sure you're
logged in as a McAfee administrator"

and

"Working with Windows users
By default, SecurityCenter users correspond to the Windows
users that you have set up on your computer. You add a user, edit
a user's account information, or remove a user under Computer
Management in Windows. You can then set up Parental Controls
protection for those users in SecurityCenter.
If you upgraded from a previous version of SecurityCenter that
used McAfee users, see Working with McAfee users (page 147)."

which states...

"Working with McAfee users
If you upgraded from a previous version of SecurityCenter that
used McAfee users, your McAfee users and their permissions are
automatically retained. You can continue to configure and
manage McAfee users; however, McAfee recommends that you
switch to Windows users. Once you switch to Windows users, you
can never switch back to McAfee users.
If you continue using McAfee users, you can add, edit, or remove
users and change or retrieve the McAfee administrator's
password.

Switch to Windows users
For easy maintenance, McAfee recommends that you switch to
Windows users; however, if you do, you can never switch back to
McAfee users.
1 Open the Users Settings pane.
How?
1. Under Common Tasks, click Home.
2. On the SecurityCenter Home pane, click Parental
Controls.
3. In the Parental Controls information section, click
Configure.
4. On the Parental Controls Configuration pane, click
Advanced.
2 On the Users Settings pane, click Switch.

3 Confirm the operation.

Add a McAfee user
After creating a McAfee user, you can configure Parental Controls
protection for the user. For more information, see the Parental
Controls help.
1 Log in to SecurityCenter as the Administrator user.
2 Open the Users Settings pane.
How?

Controls.
Configure.
Advanced.
3 On the Users Settings pane, click Add.
4 Follow the on-screen instructions to set up a user name,
password, account type, and Parental Controls protection.
5 Click Create.

Edit a McAfee user's account information
You can change a McAfee user's password, account type, or
automatic login ability.
1 Log in to SecurityCenter as the Administrator user.
2 Open the Users Settings pane.
How?
Controls.
Configure.
Advanced.
3 On the Users Settings pane, click a user name, and then click
Edit.
4 Follow the on-screen instructions to edit the user's password,
account type, or Parental Controls protection.
5 Click OK."
eed
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Response to Peter

Hello Peter. Thanks for your advice.

In response to your advice, as you can read by my thread, I tried everything you have listed as that is what is on the McAfee user manual. I have also tried getting the internet support but for some reason, my computer will not allow me to download the programme they use in order to access the help sad

It's REALLY depressing. I feel so helpless! I just want my money back because like I said in my first thread, i have tried what you advised and I still cannot access my administrator account.

Elsa.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

RE: Response to Peter

If it's within 30 days of purchase you can get a refund. Customer Service is linked in my signature. The Chat server may require you to disable pop-up blockers or you can opt for the telephone assistance which is free, but may be long-distance depending on where you are as it's based in London.

Other options for Chat are to use a different browser perhaps or check that your browser internet options are set to their default levels. Restricted settings will block access. Not sure why you are unable to access it.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community