cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug1234
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Parental Controls work sometimes and not others

I have recently set up the parental controls on a Limited User in Vista.

I have found that there are times when this is working, but other times, it is not working

I can shut it off and it will work again. But other times, I have to log out/or shut it down numerous times before it will start working again.

What could be up with this?
8 Replies
x-brookz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Parental Controls work sometimes and not others

This is a known bug that has been resolved in the next update...

Message was edited by: Brookz on 12/3/09 12:15 PM
Doug1234
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

So, when is the next update going to occur?

x-brookz
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

The next version is due out sometime within the first quarter of 2010.

user_112554
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Any update?

I am using the latest download, and my Limited User 16 yr old seems to be finding some way around the parental controls.

I see he is logged into his user account, he cannot change anything within McAfee, however, he often has unlimited access to denied websites.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Hi Johnmcafee,

May I know whether have you done any recent changes to the computer ?

Also let me  know what is the version of parental controls installed ? (To find out click about in security center)

Regards,

Dinesh K

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Dinz, also see http://community.mcafee.com/message/113304#113304 - a separate question re: the same application.

user_112554
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

The Parental Control version I would assume is the most up to date. Reason being I've been using "Security Center" for the past two years as it came from Dell. Since I recently started finding the Parental Controls being by-passed, last week I bought a new version of Total Protection, and installed it over the weekend.

As I found out, it looks and appears to be the exact same software as what I had on the computer.

With this "up grade" to Total Protection over the weekend, that is the only change I've made to the computer recently.

I can check the version when I get home tonight.

Might he be by-passing McAfee within Internet Explorer somehow ?

gabzzz
Former Member
Message 9 of 9

Whilst waiting for Mcafee to ever fix this issue with Parental Controls when it doesn't work after the PC is reset (see http://community.mcafee.com/message/122640#122640), I came across another bug:

I'll give a blow by blow account:

Logged in as administrator, I switched to the User account with limited access which is set to 'Child'.

I then went to youtube, typed inappropriate words, and it locked me. Good.

I tried this several times, and it still blocked me. So far, so good.

Still on User account, I then went to the Mcafee web site to log in to my account.  I didn't change anything, but just logged out.

Then I went back to youtube, did the same exercise as above, but this time it didn't block me. I'm puzzled.

So, I switched to my administrator account just to check the settings but nothing has changed.

So, I switched back to the User account again but it still allows me to go to youtube and view inappropriate videos.

Parental Contols do not work! It has numerous bugs. Mcafee seem to be rushing it out for profit at the expense of its intended use.

In my previous issue I raised with Mcafee, three technicians had no clue. The last one said he'd call me in two days' time. NO call ever came!

I give up!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community