cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mirwohl
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Parental Controls to only allow gmail access

Is there a way to set the parental controls of TotalProtection 2015 on a user that will only allow them access to gmail via any internet browser?

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: Parental Controls to only allow gmail access

Moved to Parental Controls for better support

---

Peter

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Parental Controls to only allow gmail access

mirwohl wrote:

Is there a way to set the parental controls of TotalProtection 2015 on a user that will only allow them access to gmail via any internet browser?

There might be a way to do this, but I haven't tested it fully.

The user will be, as far as Parental Controls is concerned, a child, so you'll need a user account with restricted (non-Admin) privileges. Once that is set up you can do the usual things to restrict logon times, length of session and so on, but to provide the highly-specific access you want you should set the permissions to be for a child of less than 5 years old.

PC set to age 5.PNG

That allows, as default, only certain classes of website. Select "Kid Safe Websites" and click on the double-chevron to move that category into the Blocked section. You now have no allowed classes of site that can be viewed, which should be a total ban. This I have not tested.

Next, click on Optional Settings to get this window :

PC allow gmail.PNG

The URL as shown will take you to the GMail login page. The URL changes of course during the loading phase and again after loading is complete so you may need to add some URLs to the whitelist (the one I see after loading is https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox). Once logged in to GMail the user then has access to all sorts of Google programs including YouTube; you could try blocking explicitly in that Options window anything you consider unsuitable or unnecessary.

As an alternative to this you could install an email client program set up to download to the desktop from GMail; as this would be a local application it should not need whitelisting in Parental Controls, which would then (in theory) be blocking all user-initiated attempts to access the internet. As I say, I haven't tried this.

That's about the best I could come up with. Let me know if it's at all helpful - someone else might want to do this at some point.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community