Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabzzz
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Parental Controls Fails after PC Power Reset

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere.

The issue is this:

As the Administrator, I set up a limiter User account, enable the Parental Controls, then configure the User (with limites privileges):

Image Filtering = ON

Age Appropriate Searching = ON

Content Rating = Child (even tried to Young Child, or Younger Teen)

Without powering off my PC, I switch to the User Account.

I then launch IE, and then tried searching for inappropriate sites, either directly typing an inappropirate web site, or typing inapporpirate words in Google.

I am blocked, and this is well and good.

The problem starts here...

After shutting down my PC (gracefully, of course), and powering it up again, I log straight to the User account (not logged to the administrator account at all).

I then launch IE. Behold, McAfee doesn't block same sites at all, or any other inappropriate web sites at all!

I then switch to the Administrator account to check the Parental Controls setting for the User account. Nothing has changed, and it is still enabled.

I have contacted McAfee, and three technicians later (mind you, each technician asked me what the issue is), they have no clue how to fix it. I told them I am computer literate.

I am running Vista Business Edition

Security Center V9.15

Virus Scan V13.15

Parental Controls V11.15

8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Parental Controls Fails after PC Power Reset

Hello gabzzz
It’s a known bug and the engineering team is already working on it. Yet , in this case please try the following steps

Check if any third party security software is installed.
Create a new Windows user account and check if the issue persists.

Thanks,
Dinesh K

gabzzz
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Hi Dinz,

I have deleted, created (new), re-created User accounts with limited privileges but the same thing happens.

I have been a subscriber of McAfee for many, many years now, and just when I have and rely on McAfee's Parental Controls, it failed me. What is more frustrating is that my child was able to access inappropriate sites. And all along I thought McAfee was working because when I configured it, it was working (that is, if I don't switch off my PC following configuring it).

All McAfee technicians that contacted me said it'll be fixed at the time they called, but had no clue at all.

In fact, they said it was the first time they heard of it and blah, blah, blah said they have over 20 million customers in the US and Canada, and they have not heard of this kind of issue!

I said I've googled this issue and there have been reports of this issue already; they said nothing.

I do not have any other security software installed.

When will they ever fix it? I'm very, very, very disappointed after what had transpired that I'm thinking of junking this McAfee and never to use it again, nor ever recommend it.

And they also better make sure they do extensive regression tests, else they could create more problems in other areas.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Hi gabzzz,

I understand your frustration and realize that you have spent a lot of time and effort because of this. It’s been already reported and the development team is working on it and fix is to be released soon. 

Regards,
Dinesh K

gabzzz
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

When can we expect a fix? For those in the know when it comes to projects, "soon" is not measurable, and will not pass a requirements test.

Mcafee does not seem to car when it comes to our kids. And yet, it has the audacity to continue advertising their parental controls when it doesn't work. Where does it leave me?

One option is to complain to fair trading for misrepresentation.

gabzzz
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

To Dinz

So when can the fix be expected? You seem to be working for McAfee so you should have an idea of this.

The issue I lodged with Mcafee is not yet closed but the techos don't have the guts to call me. Perhaps because they couldn't provide a solution.

gabzzz
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Parental Controls - Has fundamental bugs, dumping it!!!

I've contacted McAfee, and this forum to be told it would be fixed (the bug) "soon", whatever that means to them.

I'm not renewing my subscription anymore.

Parental Controls has fundamental bugs.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Re: Parental Controls - Has fundamental bugs, dumping it!!!

Dinz should maybe chime in again to touch base with you. ExBrit or Peacekeeper read these forums and have the ability to contact him and they often do.

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Re: Parental Controls - Has fundamental bugs, dumping it!!!

could you pleas run a full session with mcafee virtual tech and post the session id on the machine that has the issue. ( I can look up the version details on the parental controls once i am back at work after the weekend) and in the meantimei can do a couple of tests on my pc and grab some data.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community