cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dranj70
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Parental Control keeps turning off

For the last day or so, my McAfee Parental controls keep turning themselves off. The McAfee screen says 'something unexpected has happened and your parental controls have shut down' (I am paraphrasing).  I hit 'Fix' and they become enabled but then shortly thereafter they have again turned off. I have had to fix the settings at least 8 times in the last 24 hours. The other parts of McAfee protection stay enabled.

The only recent thing I have done is download Windows updates creating a new restore point. That seems to be temporally related (but I don't know for sure).

I can try to grab a screen shot the next time it happens.

Is there anything I can do to keep them active rather than hitting 'Fix' every time the screen pops up.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
dranj70
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Parental Control keeps turning off

The exact wording is 'Parental control has shut down unexpectedly and is now disabled'. It happens frequently. I can fix to re-enable but it randomly shuts off. I have looked for updates too without success.

I ran the virtual technician which did update a DAT but did not  find anything in parental controls to fix. In fact, while the technician was running, the 'you are not protected' pop-up popped up.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Parental Control keeps turning off

Hi dranj70,

1.Check and delete if you find any other security software in control panel or in C:/program files & common files

2.Click on start - run - type services.msc

3.In the window that opens up check whether all the start up type for mcafee programs says "started" and "Automatic"

If not click on the particular service and change it to Automatic

4.Click on the recovery tab and change all the thre failures to restart the service

hit apply and OK

5.Close all the applications and restart the computer

Do report back if you still come across any issues

Regards,

Dinesh K

on 2/12/10 4:10:15 PM GMT-06:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community