Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adtirado
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

How to share a Windows 10 device with family members

Jump to solution

I have only one device (Windows 10 desktop) and my daughters and I use it by login each one with our user ID. How can I configure Safe Family to use the same device but with different accounts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esaung
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 11

Re: How to share a Windows 10 device with family members

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Although we don't support existing native windows profile (on our to-do list), the way it works today is that Safe Family has one active profile/rules in effect at a time. you can easily switch from parent-child or child-parent if you launch the safe family app, tap on the upper right hand corner, you can switch to another profile. Switching from parent to kid will not require a password, while switching from kid to parent will require a password.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

E-ming

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Best to call support for your country

Support portal

I do not use the product so are unable to assist sorry

esaung
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Although we don't support existing native windows profile (on our to-do list), the way it works today is that Safe Family has one active profile/rules in effect at a time. you can easily switch from parent-child or child-parent if you launch the safe family app, tap on the upper right hand corner, you can switch to another profile. Switching from parent to kid will not require a password, while switching from kid to parent will require a password.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

E-ming

HHeennrrii
Contributor II
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

I think I'm experiencing the same problem. Has this been solved already? So this means everytime I've used de pc/laptop I've to switch to my McAfee account. When I'm ready I've to log on to the windows account of my child to reset it to his McAfee account? Since I'm doing this the logging is working, however this afternoon, I got a McAfee warning that a site was not allowed and I had to ask permission, but I was logged on using my Windows account and I connected to Safe Family as myself.   
Seems to be not working at all.

spulla
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi 

there could be a slight delay for rules to update when you switch from parent to kid and back from kid to parent. please check Safe Family app if it is still logged in as Safe Family parent. are you seeing a block screen for all the websites and on all browsers? are there any specific websites you see the block screen.

HHeennrrii
Contributor II
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution
Hi ,
I checked and I was still logged in as Safe Family parent. However, to be sure I again connected as child and again switched back to parent using my password. It didn't help. After a restart it was working as parent again.
Yes all browsers. And the website was just my webmail. DonaldDuck.nl was still working, which is allowed for my child.
HHeennrrii
Contributor II
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

And when logged on Windows using my childs windows account and then using my childs McAfee settings, I did the following. On my Mobile Phone, using the SafeFamily app, I paused the screentime for my child. In windows everything is first very slow, websites will not open and the I get a blue screen stating: "There is a problem with this computer and it should be restarted. ... windows.com/stopcode..."

It looks quit serious... Ok this way my child is not able to continue using the laptop,  but crashing the pc is not the way to achieve that goal...   

spulla
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming. while you switch between profile often restart does help. however we will test these scenarios.

spulla
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

I am sorry to hear but the blue screen is not related to Safe Family. It is related to windows Operating System. here's an article from Microsoft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors 

HHeennrrii
Contributor II
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

This morning I was helped by one of the 2nd or 3rd line. It was the 3rd appointment where they tried to help me by taking over the control of the pc. (the problem is going on for a month now).
The solution would be to completely recreate a new Microsoft account for my child and to completely create a new user on my computer using the new Microsoft account. This is quite a lot of work including creating new mailbox account. However I did it. So I created a completely new environment. And still these problems occur. Seems to me that it is not only Microsoft, but also McAfee that is playing a role in these errors...  And I get the blue screen only in the situation where a rule for my child is broken by him... So each time I get a warning, first the blue screen appears. Seems to me a problem caused by McAfee and very specific to that part of a broken rule / or creating a warning for the parent. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community