cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 141 of 151

Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

Yes, both the Home PC and my laptop have been upgraded to 16.0 R10 (between April 09 and 24 for some components). Checking daily the performance and currently no problem observed with the known issue.

Just for information, on the laptop, where I originally did report the ‘mmsshost’ issue, I decided last week to re-install completely the Win 10 S/W after that an issue was blocking some important updates (issue known and reported on the Microsoft Website). It has costed days to restore the laptop as I did not know that re-installing Win 10 would have an impact on many other applications that were also deleted from the laptop (no loss of personal data however)!

Starting with a fresh laptop/Win10 combination, I have then re-installed the McAfee Total Protection. For the second day by now, no ‘mmsshost’ issue has reoccurred yet. I will keep monitoring and reporting the status on this forum.

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 142 of 151

To Selvan, I saw on an other forum link the following posting from P8888:

McAfee Support Community   Consumer   Web and Email Protection   LiveSafe   Windows update KB4088882 compatibility with McAfee...

Windows update KB4088882 compatibility with McAfee LiveSafe

Microsoft released a Windows update: March 22, 2018—KB4088882 (Preview of Monthly Rollup). In the notes on this update it said the following; (Contact your antivirus manufacturer to verify that their software is compatible and that they have set the following REGKEY on the computer:

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"

Value Name="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"

Type="REG_DWORD” , Data="0x00000000”).

Is McAfee LiveSafe compatible with this Windows update? Thanks.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4088882/windows-81-update-kb4088882

My question: I personally have not seen any answer to this request. Would this be part of the Release 10 update? Why McAfee do not provide the customer the change that have been made in the new release?

jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 143 of 151

I deleted MMSSHOST, well actually closed it in Task Manager, then before it had time to restart itself i changed the explorer file to .old   ... 3 days of no problems, McAfee still detects and scans, still updates etc.  However noticed today that it has managed to replace the MMSSHOST.exe file with a new copy and trggered itself to start ... in doing so though, the blippy activity started again, running my CPU to 25% every minute and making video and audio files jitter !!

So, once again, i've stopped the file in Manager and deleted it in Explorer, take that McAfee !!

I bet this issue will take them as long to resolve as the Quick Clean issue took to resolve last year ... so i reckon a fix will come about by Christmas

onalee
Contributor II
Message 144 of 151

Has this issue been resolved? How do I fix it? I am on the verge of uninstalling because I can't use my computer. This just started for me just a couple of days ago, but it cannot continue. Please tell me what I need to do to stop this from taking over my computer every few minutes!

Joennuh
Contributor II
Message 145 of 151

Original post 05-06-2018 01:34 PM:

I also do have the issue with the McAfee Management Service Host although not all the time but mos of the time. Especially on the moment when I interact with my notebook.

My mouse will become slow and the total CPU usage will go to 100%.

It is frustrating me for about a week now and I have no clue when and how the issue exactly started.

Notebook: Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY
Windows 10, build 1709
McAfee 16.0 R10

I hope the issue will be fixed soon.

I specifically registered to this forum today to be able to follow and react on this specific discussion.

Update 05-06-2018 10:48 PM:

I checked for Windows updates and appearantly the update Windows 10 build 1803 (Spinr Creators update) was ready to download and install. About 1 hour of downloading and preconfiguring the update and 1,5 hours configuring the update (it is a huge update appreantly!) later it seems the issue doesn't seem to appear again so far.

So my suggestion is to update Windows 10 to build 1803 (Spring Creators update) and check if the issue still occurs.

erin
Contributor
Message 146 of 151

Mi problema era similar y ya lo solucioné: revisé todo lo que se había instalado de McAfee en mi lap. Vi que había otras dos aplicaciones aparte de la que originalemnte yo mismo había instalado, por ser usuario de Infinitum "McAfee security center". Desinstalè todas excepto esta ùltima y el CPUya regresó a la normalidad. En el monitor de recursos de mi lap ya no aparece el proceso MMSSHOST.EXE que estaba absorbiendo 93% del CPU. Mi hipòtesis es que alguna de esas aplicaciones de McAfee entra en conflicto con el antivirus, llevando el procesador a su màximo de capacidad todo el tiempo. Tengan cuidado porque eso puede dañar el equipo.

erin
Contributor
Message 147 of 151

Mi problema era similar y ya lo solucioné: revisé todo lo que se había instalado de McAfee en mi lap. Vi que había otras dos aplicaciones aparte de la que originalemnte yo mismo había instalado, por ser usuario de Infinitum "McAfee security center". Desinstalè todas excepto esta ùltima y el CPUya regresó a la normalidad. En el monitor de recursos de mi lap ya no aparece el proceso MMSSHOST.EXE que estaba absorbiendo 93% del CPU. Mi hipòtesis es que alguna de esas aplicaciones de McAfee que se están instalando en automático, entra en conflicto con el antivirus original, llevando el procesador a su màximo de capacidad todo el tiempo. Tengan cuidado porque eso puede dañar el equipo.

jarden
Contributor
Message 148 of 151

I also have this problem. I had it before, like a year ago and it went away (I think I did a re-install of McAfee. Not sure). I have a Windows 7 machine and the the MMSSHost.exe process kicks in to about 25 - 60%... especially when I start working in a new app. For example switching from Chrome browser to Outlook. After about 5-15 seconds it will drop to zero and the computer unfreezes. I recently did another complete re-install of McAfee, it seemed to cure the problem for a few days and then came back. Very frustrating.

cedricboivin
Contributor
Message 149 of 151

I got exactly the same problem

No solution found ?2018-06-19_1326.png

cakeal
Contributor
Message 150 of 151

brand new desktop here...brief second of lucidity on my computer where I can actually type and open windows to do some research on this issue... 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community