cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 1 of 28

Where is the list of apps Vulnerability Scanner monitors?

Yes, where can I find the list of apps Vulnerability Scanner monitors?

27 Replies
emmie
Former Member
Message 2 of 28

Re: Where is the list of apps Vulnerability Scanner monitors?

The list of apps Vurnerability Scanner monitors:-

Vurnerabilty Managment

Container Security

Web Scanning applications.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 28

Open your McAfee GUI/Click on Help/Help again/then scroll down to your Vulnerability Scanner.

Also the *Vulnerability Scanner* searches for/Monitors your McAfee Programs/Windows Updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 28

gollyrojer wrote:

Yes, where can I find the list of apps Vulnerability Scanner monitors?

There is no list.  It would vary from machine to machine depending on what is installed and what operating system.

It just looks for outdated software.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 28

Exactly..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 6 of 28

Thank you for responding, folks.  Maybe my question wasn't clear.  Emmie, I don't want classes of program types, I want a list of names of all programs it will monitor.  Thanks, catdaddy, that gives a general overview of what it does.  Peter M, there has to be a list, or database, or some form of reference.  It doesn't just go through my hard drive and say, "Hmm, here's an executable.  I wonder if I can figure out where updates are available for it."  For example, how did it know to look for Firefox on my computer, and when found, how did it know where to look to see if an update was available?  Because there is information somewhere that it references, and in that information Firefox is listed, along with where to check for an update.  That information will have in it all the programs it is possible for Vulnerability Scanner to monitor.

It would be helpful to know this not only when I'm considering what apps to install, but also when I'm doing routine maintenance and manually checking for updates on my installed programs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 28

I didn't misunderstand the question, at least I don't think so.

It would be impossible to list every piece of software available on the web.

All VS does is check the version and refer to the maker's website to compare versions.

gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 8 of 28

It would be impossible to list every piece of software available on the web.

Is that what Vulnerability Scanner monitors, then?  Every piece of software available on the web?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 28

In other words as Colleague Ex_brit stated,while most users have 'Automatic Updating' enabled for their Windows Updates/Add-ons/Plug-ins/Extensions. Vulnerability Scanner scans your system for applications/programs that may be out of date.

Since each individual system varies as to what they have installed, there basically is no (List) if you will. You basically should personally know, as you are privy to what you have installed.

I hope this is *Clear as Mud*

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 28

On each machine it scans what is installed and checks for updates on those only.

The list is already on your computer under Control Panel > Programs and Features.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community