cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neillo
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

Two problems

1. Vulnerability Scanner reports updates available for 7-Zip every week, which I allow it to install. But the version number of 7-Zip never changes (9.21.0.0 since early December, when I started keeping a record). Is this a VS problem, finding updates that don't exist, or is the 7-Zip version number not being changed when updates are made?

2. Today, VS reported an update was available for Skype version 7.17.18.105. This was last updated (by VS) four weeks ago, when it was version 7.16.0.102. I shut down Skype before giving the go-ahead for VS to install the update, but it kept insisting that Skype was active, so in the end I just went ahead with the 7-Zip update. When I reloaded Skype, I checked for updates manually and was told I had the latest version. Help>About gave the current version as 7.17.18.105. Does VS show the version numbers of the existing installed programs or the version numbers which will be installed?

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Two problems

I've seen similar issues in the past.  I solved the 7-zip one  by uninstalling 7-zip, and then reinstalling from the website.

Occasionally the scanner will slip up and tell you an update is available that has already been installed.

It's a guideline really.  I personally would rather have the Windows Update checks turned off and use Windows Update itself for that.

They are aware of these periodic problems.  But if they really bother you, start a case with Technical Support, it's free.

Contact Support

neillo
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for that.

I already have Windows Update checks in VS turned off - at least I had when I last checked. However, I have just checked again and it has been changed to Both, so I have turned it off again.

Of course, these issues both relate to program updates. Windows updates are not usually a problem, as they generally arrive in a lump on a Wednesday, while VS is scheduled to run on Fridays.

I guess I can live with the occasional glitch.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

That's odd, maybe an update to it turned it back on.

I just ran mine (in Windows 7) and it insists I need the update that makes Windows keep offering Windows 10, so that's why I turned off that section of VS.

I've had that update hidden in WU for ages now.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I wasn't sure if I needed to start a topic for this or not. Today my Vulnerability Scanner's done pretty much the same thing as neillo's - only my Skype version is currently 7.17.0.105 and insists I have the latest version available, whereas the Vulnerability Scanner thinks it should be at 7.18.0.103. It's also insisting I should install KB3112343. I don't know if this is the patch you were referring to in your last post but it looks familiar. This is the first time I've seen it do this; usually it's so unobtrusive I forget it;s installed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Yes that's the patch.  If you don't want to be pestered....yet, then hide it.

Have you checked Windows Update as Skype updates come through there I think.

The VS is really only a guideline and you aren't forced to install anything.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, Ex_Brit.

I've checked Windows Update and it just displays the usual "No Important Updates Available" message. There were a few optional ones, but none of them seemed linked to Skype. I remember getting Skype updates through Windows Update in the past so I'm not sure why it needed a manual update this time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Well I would research it online as VS has been known to be in error and even offer a version of something before it's release.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community