cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iambork
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Stop Mcafee Changing Search Engine to Yahoo

I know everybody has this problem, where Mcafee changes the default search engine to yahoo secure search. I know how to change it back to google, but it keeps changing it even if I delete safe search from the list.

How do I stop Mcafee from doing this? It seems like any time I turn off my computer it will change google to Yahoo, and I am tired of changing it back.

8 Replies
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 9

Re: Stop Mcafee Changing Search Engine to Yahoo

Hi @MCC2 ,

Greetings from McAfee.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below article to change the search engine and turn off the secure search.

McAfee WebAdvisor changed my search engine

Regards,
Edward Franso 

AlexVTS
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Listen to your customers and stop this practice. Nobody wants Yahoo as their search engine ! Being sorry is not being sorry if you do not act on it and change the policy of forcing people to repeat the same steps over and over for corporate wins (yahoo probably pays you to do this).

Either quit it altogether or make an option available to never change the default browser. It's that simple.

I have had McAfee for over a decade, but this switching is annoying and since I get spam pop-ups from McAfee I am definitely thinking of leaving. I don't need pop-ups months ahead of my subscription renewal "reminding" me of that. Way to alienate your customers.

Betchaann
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Agreed. I am so sick of having to change my browser settings every other day to fix my default search engine. I quit, McAfee...you are getting uninstalled TODAY.

JMurdock
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

McAfee used to be top tier protection. Now its just a fragmented mess behind 10 different pay-gates.
This is my last ride with McAfee. The Yahoo search debauchery is just dirt on the coffin.
DesireeLourens
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I've followed the steps as per your link. My settings have been changed to google and always is. Still McAfee changes my settings to Yahoo. Your link is not successful. 

DTee
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

It's actually super irritating, having to change my search engine almost all the time. How can I put an end to this forever? or do I just need to change my antivirus altogether?

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 9

Usually this occurs when you tick a popup for Secure Search. I never did that and have been Yahoo free for years. Just wondering if you did that. If not I better watch my search program closer.

cskalski
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Me too. Yahoo keeps showing up at random. I keep deleting it as a search engine...and changing my search engine is not up for debate nor was it disclosed as "how MacAfee ensures my safety. So I should just have to turn off secure search. I hope. If no I will switch it to Norton and MacAfee will be NOPE! 😎🤔🤔

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community