cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quasimodem
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Shredder tool freezing

I've just recently upgraded my BT package to Option 3, which allowed me to download the McAfee Security package.

Unfortunately, when I run the shredder program it freezes at  53%    (Anti-Phishing)

I've just recently re-formatted my hard drive, so it's unlikely to be any adware/malware. 

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about  there being a bug in the McAfee software.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies
mqsuser
Contributor III
Message 2 of 5

Re: Shredder tool freezing

Hi,

Can you tell me the version number of McAfee QuickClean and Shredder from About Box of your McAfee Security Package?

Also what option did you choose when you ran shredder?

Was it Recycle bin, Temporary files or Let me Choose and type you  choose to Shred from the drop down box?

Where are you getting (Anti-Phishing)?

Let me know.

quasimodem
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hello,

I am using McAfee Security Centre  version 11.0  build 11.0.678,  McAfee Virus scan version 15.0  build 15.0.302.

When I selected Shredder and option "Comprehensive", the shredder ran to 53% and then froze. Message said "shredding in progress" with "Anti-phishing" in brackets.

Strangely enough, I ran the shredder today again and it went to 50% with the same message "shredding in progress" and "favicon(2).icd" in brackets.

I have also tried differnt shredding options, basic, safe, comprehensive and complete and got the same 'freezing' results.

Thanks!

Message was edited by: quasimodem on 12/07/12 03:01:00 CDT

Message was edited by: quasimodem on 12/07/12 03:14:53 CDT
mqsuser
Contributor III
Message 4 of 5

I think the file favicon(2).icd is taking time.

Looks to me that you are shredding Temporary internet files or Recycle Bin.

Can you check the size of the above file and remove it manually to other location and then run shredder so we can isolate the problem.

quasimodem
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Sorry, it appears the file is actually favicon(2).ico

i have ran a full search of my computer and the item does not appear exist on my computer.

It looks like the Shredder is picking up file fragments.

It's no big deal anyway. I've been using computers for 20 years without McAfee Shredder. I'll just go back to using the built-in temporary internet file remover on Windows 7, or I may

go back to using ccleaner. ( It's not as if I've got any state secrets stored on my computer!)   

Thanks for your help anyway. It was appreciated!  

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community