Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuspieds
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Scan and Shred Context Menus Missing in File Explorer Replacement

Hello,

I am using McAfee Total Protection on Windows 10 x64.

I use Directory Opus (Directory Opus​)  as my default File Manager to replace Windows File Explorer.

Unfortunately, the file context menu items "Scan" and "Shred" do not appear in Directory Opus; only in Explorer.  I contacted the Directory Opus support and they believe that McAfee Total Protection is only exposing the context menus to explorer.exe and not to any other app.

Can anyone confirm this or is anyone seeing the context menus is other file manager tools?

Thanks!

11 Replies
nuspieds
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Scan and Shred Context Menus Missing in File Explorer Replacement

After further troubleshooting with other File Explorer replacements, the context menus do appear in those apps; therefore, this issues seems to be Directory Opus-specific.

I've updated the developers and will post back once a solution is found, since this issue could potentially also affect other apps.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

Discussion successfully moved from Virus and Spyware Protection to QuickClean and Shredder

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jcwebman
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I have the same problem with Directory Opus so I will be looking forward to you posting back once the solution is found.

nuspieds
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Unfortunately, it's not looking good:  On the DOpus forum they haven't responded with any updates to my latest query and it's definitely DOpus because everything else is fine.

But try this:  Create a shortcut of a file and then right-click on the file; for some reason, the context menus appear for the shortcuts only.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

​,

So by your comments can we assume this is not a McAfee issue?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
nuspieds
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Well, from a end-user/UI perspective, it certainly seems as if it is not due to McAfee, since I tested other File Managers and they all display the context menus when you right-click.  However, it could be a technical/programmatic issue (e.g., in the way that McAfee implemented the context menu framework exposure to the Windows Shell).  Still, to me, the fact that other apps see the items no problem doesn't make me believe that it's a McAfee problem.

Here is the developer's reply once they were able to replicate the issue in a Virtual Machine:

• "We looked in a VM and we are definitely asking their context menu DLL if it wants to add any menu items, but it is not adding any when asked, for some reason. Why is difficult to tell as we don’t have their source code."
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

​,

Thank you for your input   Normally I could bring it up on our next weekly Conference Call, and ask the Senior Level 3.0 Support personnel.  However due to the Christmas/New Years holidays it won't occur for 2 weeks. During the interim I will attempt to contact someone on your behalf.

​  Could one of you please assist this customer?

Have a Merry Christmas

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
nuspieds
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thank you, sir!  That is definitely an early Christmas gift and I most certainly do appreciate the efforts!!!

Have a great, safe and Merry Christmas, too!

-Nusaram

jcwebman
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Hi Cliff,

This problem is still happening, and the Directory Opus developer says there is nothing he can do. Do you have an update on a fix?

Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community