Jump to solution

Thank you Mark

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 102 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

Do not take mid March as gospel. If it does start rolling out then it will do do in only part of the user base first only.

After a week more will be added till finally sll get it.

brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 103 of 146

Jump to solution

Hi ​ --

Here's my regular routine:

you probably need to restart your computer to be able to get into the console -- the "An Update is being Installed" message almost never resolves itself without restarting

• Right-click on System Tray icon
  • Select "Change Settings" >> "View all Settings"
  • Select "Access Protection" >> uncheck "Use Access Protection" >> Apply
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\MQS
  • Rename "QcShm.exe" to "QcShm.exe.<hide>"

choose your favorite naming convention for <hide> -- here's what I have:

QcShm.exe.old.2017-01-07

QcShm.exe.old.2017-01-27

QcShm.exe.old.2017-02-06

QcShm.exe.old.2017-02-15

• at this point, you can "End Process" the QcShm.exe processes from the Windows Task Manager if you wish -- you would get "Access is denied" if tried this while "Access Protection" was enabled -- or they will get reaped when you restart your machine
  • Select "Access Protection" >> re-check "Use Access Protection" >> Apply

Your mileage may vary .. batteries not includes ..

ewbd
Former Member
Message 104 of 146

Jump to solution

For some weeks now I have been experiencing multiple instances of QcShm.exe in my Dell laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. They do not seem to be accumulating any CPU but they are occupying RAM - approx. 5MB each. Right after boot-up, there are none of these, but the number steadily increases over time. The occurrence of multiple instances of QcShm appears to be a pervasive problem, judging by the number of posts in this thread (mine will be #103). There have been several updates since this problem began. Each time I see an update being installed, I am hoping that at last the QcShm problem is being fixed. I am wondering when McAfee / Intel plans to correct this problem, which surely can't be that difficult to fix. The McAfee experts appear to be skating around this problem, offering lots of advice of varying degrees of helpfulness, but nothing constructive is happening to fix it. Get on with it. Maybe it's time to switch to a different anti-virus product. I am not pleased.

jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 105 of 146

Jump to solution

Hi ewbd

The multiple occurrences of QcShm.exe will just be the start of your McAfee bugs, most of us on here have had the issue since around late November 2016, the fact that the Taskbar Icon says there is an update/install happening .... is unfortunately just another bug, there is no update, in fact, most of us on here haven't had any updates for around 2moths or more now.  But then to be honest my latest issue is I can even open the UI to see when when the last anti-virus definitions were updated (even immediately after a reboot I can't open the UI now).  The moderators on here are great guys, but correct me if i'm wrong, I don't think they actually work for McAfee but rather help them in their development through forums like this ?

A possible roll-out solution, i say possible, may start around mid March for selected end users .... but not sure how many users will have already left by then due to security uncertainties

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 106 of 146

Jump to solution

Again, I cannot  stress the fact any more clearer. This issue is indeed being addressed by McAfee. Having said this, there is no reason for us *Moderators* to continuously repeat our selves.  It already  has caused this thread to become (Verbose)

Thank you for your input We appreciate your kind words.

There is indeed a (Fix) forthcoming.

Sincerely

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 107 of 146

Jump to solution

Well one can uninstall reinstall and choose custom in the reinstall and do not install Quick clean.That 1 possible way around this I assume.

lwdco
Contributor
Message 108 of 146

Jump to solution

Under Updates, I have it set to "Notify me when updates are available."  Under Firewall, I have my Smart Advice set to "Let me decide," so every time I get a request for updates I can choose not to accept them.  I have also stopped all Real-Time scanning because it is just too big of a burden on my system.  I cancel the Mcafee update requests often, and the icon stops the update designation and changes to a grey shield with a ! in a small red square.  After several requests (or sometimes I wait until I start getting red dialog boxes from Mcafee about not updating the software), I cancel and then manually go ask for the update. This has kept my system up to date.  I have the free Cox Cable Suite of Mcafee, so it may be different than the usual retail version, but it might be worth a try.  It does not solve the OP (and our) problem of mulitple qcshm.exe's, however.  I just renamed my Qcshm.exe to zQcshm.exe and that has stopped (for now) the multiple versions.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 109 of 146

Jump to solution

I highly recommend that you (Do Not) Disable your Real Time Scanning. And suggest that you turn it back on, as you are vulnerable to Virus/Malware infections.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lwdco
Contributor
Message 110 of 146

Jump to solution

I'm not recommending dropping real-time scanning to all -- I was just stating it as a setting for being able to get updates, just in case it had something to do with it, because most people seem to have it enabled and I don't.

I understand the risks of dropping real-time scanning, but it takes 25-50% of my quad CPU time most of the time whenever I've tried it (yes, it fills up two full CPU's, if I let it). That number is ridiculously high for something that is supposed to be a small drag on my resources. I've tried different settings and never found anything that would keep it under 10-15%.  I got tired of staring at a computer that was doing almost nothing I wanted to do while it ignored me and scanned away, so I gave up.  I'm running Windows 7, SP1, on a 2.3 GHz AMD quad core processor with 8 GB memory and 100GB free on disk; it shouldn't grind to a stop while real-time scanning.  I have no interest in spending countless hours trying to figure out the problem, especially since I'll probably be getting a new system in the next year or so (after MS figures out how to stop the Windows 10 forced update problem) and I'll have to fix all the new problems Windows 10 and the rest of my software give me all over again any way.

I am in Stealth mode so there are heightened alerts; I use Firefox so few Internet Explorer hacker scripts work; and I use OpenOffice so few Microsoft Office hacker scripts work.  Java language (not Javascript) is permanently disabled on all browsers.  I visit sites that I've used for years and rarely wander the net, so there are fewer opportunities for attack.  I do regular weekly backups on my system for data protection and do the scheduled McAfee scans.  So far, so good...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community