Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 51 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

​,

Yes, I am aware of that. If you were to read even closer, you will be aware I even stated such. This is something that needs to be discussed which is routinely done, thank you.. Which I am certain Selvan will agree.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
truffle
Contributor III
Message 52 of 146

Jump to solution

catdaddy,

I realize you were aware.   I was clarifying to jonno2001 that it appeared that Mcafee had seen this issue on one of its machines.  Sorry about the misunderstanding.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 53 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

No Problem Mate   Now that everyone is back from their Holidays PTO, all will progress at a faster pace. Thank you and everyone else for your invaluable input.

Regards,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 54 of 146

Jump to solution

The QcShm.exe problem went nuclear today. From the home screen of my McAfee LiveSafe console yesterday, I saw my kid's computer was showing a red-alert symbol and reporting it was unprotected due to

"Your firewall is off. Turn it back on to stay secure"

and below it were several rows of items:

"Virus and spyware protection"   On

"Web and email protection"    Off

"Updates"    Current

Logging onto her computer, Task Manager showed about a dozen QcShm.exe processes running. I restarted her computer, and system performance returned to normal. Strangely, the QcShm.exe items report taking zero CPU and a tiny bit of memory, but even with a dozen of them running, the systems are noticeably slower.

From her LiveSafe console, I now saw that my sister's computer was showing that red-alert. I'll work with her tomorrow to help her.

Now -- checking my system tonight -- I had a over a screen's worth of these processes, and my system was noticeably sluggish.

2017-01-09_QcShm.exe.PNG

If system security is actually compromised while in this state, and the issue is really this pervasive, McAfee should be working this with very high priority. I'm not going to open my system to remote sessions (still stinging from getting hacked by the Russians a month ago), but if your engineers want some log collection performed, I'll help out.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 55 of 146

Jump to solution

Oh My Goodness!!!! I will definitely bring to their attention the (number) of processes in your screenshot. Thank you...

Sincerely,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 56 of 146

Jump to solution

and this morning a new symptom. I am actually able to get into the LiveSafe Console (when I have been unable to, there were QcShm.exe processes running -- but that isn't necessarily cause-and-effect). LiveSafe tells me my "Web and email protection" is ON -- which is different than what I saw with my daughter's and sister's status. Again, as a software and support guy, I realize that when those machines report "Web and email protection" is OFF -- it might be due to a problem with the handshake between their machines and the McAfee mothership.

Here is a screenshot of my McAfee console side-by-side with my Task Manager:
2017-01-09_could_open_console_even_with_QcShm.PNG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 57 of 146

Jump to solution

McAfee Technician is still working on this, hopefully an answer will be forthcoming soon.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 58 of 146

Jump to solution

They are presently indeed working on a fix for this issue. For a work-around it is advised that you perform a (Custom) install, electing to not include Quick Clean and Shredder. This should prevent further issues.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
truffle
Contributor III
Message 59 of 146

Jump to solution

At least for my Dell version I don't think that a (Custom) install, electing to not include Quick Clean and Shredder based on the fact that the custom uninstall does allow that.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 60 of 146

Jump to solution

I am truly sorry, Possibly trying a Complete Uninstall/Re-install may suffice. However , performing a Custom Install was what I was informed to suggest, unit the Fix is in.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community