Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 21 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

I was never able to open the interface -- the "An update is being installed" persisted.

BTW, I did have Windows UAC (User Access Control) disabled .. so that wasn't the issue
I restarted my machine and did not see any copies of QcShm.exe for the hour-or-so I monitored

Maybe it's related to McAfee getting wedged while installing an update?

truffle
Contributor III
Message 22 of 146

Jump to solution

After you re-booted your machine were you able to get into the interface?   It may take hours before you see new copies of QcShm.exe.

jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 23 of 146

Jump to solution

I noticed this before Christmas now, when I saw in Process Explorer about 80+ copies of QcShm, explorer wouldn't let me stop or delete them.

I restarted my Acer desktop (Win 7) and sure enough the entries were gone, but within a few hours they started again and grew about 10 per day

After reading the posts earlier from Truffle and Peter M etc ....

I stopped the Access Protection within McAfee, went into Windows Explorer and noticed the related McAfee files were all updated around 16th December 2016,

i've subsequently changed the file QcShm.exe to .old  (folder C:\Program Files\McAfee\MQS).

This has stopped the files appearing now in Process Explorer, hasn't affected McAfee's performance (although I suspect the QuickClean won't work, but don't use this option anyway)

Once I know McAfee have resolved the issue i'll return the file back to an exe

Thanks for your knowledge here and hope McAfee do their part too

John

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

While I appreciate your input and knowledge I personally recommend that one should not revert to making changes to the (Registry) without Technical Support being involved. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this issue will be a 'Topic of Discussion' on our next Conference Call on 1/9/2017.

I/We will update everyone following information/advice given from our (Senior Level) Engineers.

Thank you

All the very Best

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
zgrayfox
Former Member
Message 25 of 146

Jump to solution

Cliff,

Looking forward to the upcoming information/advice (& I hope solution!).  My system typically runs 24x7 - after 4-5 days something over 50 copies of QcShm.exe will be running.   A bit of a nuisance since I don't run Quick clean (manually or scheduled).

brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 26 of 146

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure I was able to open the interface after the restart, but I did not try to disable Mcafee's Access Protection (in case that would compromise my real-time access protection)

Now, 10-hours later, I'm back to the state where:

* I am prevented from opening the interface with "An update is being installed"

* I have 2 copies of QcShm.exe running

* I can't stop the "McAfee AP Service" from the Task Manager with an "Access is denied"

If I turn off Access Protection, does that leave me susceptible to viruses when I access files? If I leave AP running, does it become ineffective once the QcShm.exe instances start to accumulate? After getting my machine hacked by Russians last month, I'm a little reluctant to keep disable protection, unless that's the only way to stop the QcShm.exe buildup

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 146

Jump to solution

While I am perplexed as to why these processes accumulate/quantify? Please leave your (Access Protection) enabled!  This assures you that none of your critical files can inadvertently be accessed, even by McAfee itself.

​ or one of your colleagues, could you add to the discussion?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 146

Jump to solution

I've just noticed a similar problem on my laptop, though in my case there's only one copy of QcShm.exe running unless I open the McAfee interface and click on "QuickClean". Doing this causes another copy of QcShm.exe to appear in Task Manager. I don't know if this is the case for everyone else here or just me. Scheduled Cleaning is off. 

truffle
Contributor III
Message 29 of 146

Jump to solution

Sounds like same.  If you click on "about" in the Mcafee interface does another QcShm.exe appear?

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 146

Jump to solution

Just checked, and it does. I'm surprised I didn't notice this earlier as I always click 'About' after McAfee finishes an update, but don't open Task Manager that frequently so probably missed the extra copies it made before today.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community