Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bb31
Former Member
Message 1 of 50

Mcafee Livesafe not opening, internet not working

Jump to solution

I have a less than 1 year old HP Pavillion laptop with Windows 10 and Mcafee Livesafe.  It suddenly became less and less responsive and so I shut it down and then turned it back on.  Now Mcafee will not open.  Microsoft Edge will open but I cannot go to any webpage, it just spins and spins.  Microsoft Office products like excel will not open.  Windows has an update that is stuck at a 0% download.  To me it seems like the computer is not talking to the internet.  Would this make Mcafee not open, or excel be unable to open? 

If I let the computer sit for a bit it will make a make a noise like there is a message and Mcafee will appear opened displaying the results of a vulnerability scanner.  It says "your computer is secure" "vulnerability scanner has finished scan" "operating system updates 0" "application updates 2"  and then in front of this there is another message that says "Web browser"  "Stop running this script?  A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly.  if it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."

Is there a problem with Mcafee, like in a recent update or is this something else?  I remember years ago there was a problem with an update that stopped computers from accessing the internet.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fats25
Former Member
Message 49 of 50

Re: Mcafee Livesafe not opening, internet not working

Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the quick responses.   Much appreciated.   Security Scan Plus is now uninstalled.

I do vaguely remember seeing something recently that said my subscription had expired for Mcafee, and thought I will get around to it when I returned from a business trip (which was today).   I tried to log into my Mcafee online account, and could only get in with a very old email account credentials, with a service that expired in 2013.   I know I bought a new laptop in June 2014, and the way my brain works is that a PC will only last 3 years, so it makes sense that I would have bought a 3 year subscription to LiveSafe.

Having looked at the products, and what I actually use - Antivirus Plus is sufficient for me - so I have installed that at 25 quid for the year.  That will keep me going for another 12 months by which time I will have bought a new machine.

It would be nice that expiry of your license did not mean a complete lock down of your machine - I guess there is some sort of failsafe built in there to ensure that if you stop being protected, your internet access is stopped?  It does seem a bit heavy handed.   Anyway I am up and running now.   Again thanks for those that responded.

View solution in original post

49 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 50

Jump to solution

​,

There was indeed a known issue with the Vulnerability Scanner back in December/2016. I was under the impression it had been fixed. Here is a work-around that resolved the problem back then, temporarily. In addition do a reboot afterwards.

"As sivasubramanian.n  says also try setting a scan, run it, then disable the scheduled scan, saving after each setting"

Short of doing a Uninstall/Reinstall (Custom) electing to not install the Vulnerability Scanner.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 50

Jump to solution

Moved from Community Support to Vulnerability Scanner >Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bb31
Former Member
Message 4 of 50

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

Did the issue in November affect the ability to access the internet or ability to open McAfee?  I know the vulnerability scanner has run between now and last November and not caused any issues.

Also, I can't open McAfee.  I have tried using the icon on the desktop, the one down in the task bar, and on the windows start menu.  None of them seem to work.  The only time Mcafee has opened is seemingly on its own.  When it does it displays the results of a vulnerability scan with the other message in front of it that has the title "web browser" and then says "Stop running this script?  A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly.  if it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive."   Is this a message from my Mcafee product, because I don't have Microsoft edge or any other web browser open?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 50

Jump to solution

If changing that setting/ (Following those procedures), and after doing a reboot. You still experience those issues. I would personally either contact Technical Support, or do a Uninstall/Reinstall. Just my honest opinion..

You can also try running the latest MVT too

Support Portal Consume

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bb31
Former Member
Message 6 of 50

Jump to solution

I can't open McAfee though, so I can't change any settings.  The only time it opens is when that message about the script running pops up.  I don't know if I can interact with the McAfee interface when the script message pops up, I am at work right now so I can't check.  I would like to know if that script message is legit and related to McAfee or not.   Also, I can't access the internet so I can't download the MVT.  Microsoft Edge will open, but it wont go to any pages besides the start page with the news articles. 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 50

Jump to solution

I would need a screenshot of the warning to conclude, being brutally honest. I suggest you contact Support using that link I inserted above. Please let us know your results.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bb31
Former Member
Message 8 of 50

Jump to solution

Is there a charge for help from support?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 50

Jump to solution

Of course not Available 24/7 (Free). Via Phone/Online Chat by far the quickest. Simply use that link,select your country and contact hem.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
albinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 50

Jump to solution

I do have/had the same problem.

First thing that started happening was that everything revolving around the internet did not want to work. Webb browsers just started spinning not showing or loading anything, games just became non-responsvie and other programs as Skype etc. just did nothing.

I did read a couple of days ago that Mcafee have had some issues atleast regarding Google Chrome ever since an update like 2 weeks ago, so I thought i would check with the program, but it did not want to open either or do anything, and then I found this thread.

So it took a restart of the computer to get Mcafee to even respond and now I have it uninstalled for the moment, and everything work fine so far as I can see, but Im a little scared to reinstall it.
Is there any fix to this problem or do we have to wait it out for a new update with a fix in it?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community