cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rod_Neep
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Laptop SUDDENLY runs extremely slow

I have owned my HP laptop for just over a year (14s-dq1508sa). Running Windows 11.

It has performed perfectly until two days ago. SUDDENLY it has become ridiculously slow doing EVERYTHING.

Start up takes 3 to 5 minutes. All software runs extremely slowly. On shut down a window briefly appears "Windows cannot close - Form1 App is running". That window closes after 1 second and the system shuts down.

Symptoms also feel as if programs are running more than once at the same time, although I can't find any actual evidence for that in task manager.. In fact sometimes typing into an online form displays what I have typed *twice*.

Edit: Strangely... when I first tried to post this message it was blocked because it contained invalid HTML. I did NOT include any HTML. I accepted the forum's notice to remove that HTML and then the message posted.

I have run several different virus scanners for malware etc. All negative.

I have checked the task manager for both running programs and startup and nothing seems amiss.

I have run the HP Performance Tuneup and Hardware Check

I have run Restoro with the full check. (Registry repair, etc.)

I have deleted all temporary files and cookies etc.

I started to suspect faulty RAM. I have run a "Windows Memory Diagnostic", That came up with “No memory errors were detected”.

I am extremely suspicious about the "Form1" app which is running at shutdown. Web searches suggest that it is an old malware, but it is not detected by McAfee, Spyhunter or Exterminate-It.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop SUDDENLY runs extremely slow

Try McAfee's malware scanner

McAfee KB - McAfee Malware Cleaner: What is it? (TS102903)

I would also try malwarebytes but ensure you disable the real time scanning component as it may clash with Mcafee if both scan at the same time.

www.malwarebytes.org

xin8068844519
Contributor III
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop SUDDENLY runs extremely slow

You can try to clear the temp files manually. It includes both Temp files and prefetch files. After that de fragment your disk and your system speed will definately improve.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community