cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
literary-gal
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How do I stop McAfee QuickClean from deleting Ghostery settings in Chrome?

I have a Google Chrome browser (the latest version) with the Ghostery extension. (This is the only extension I have with my browser.) Every time McAfee Quickclean runs, it deletes my settings for Ghostery. I have contacted someone from Ghostery about this and they don't know how to fix it. I've also searched online for a solution and have come up empty.

Does anyone know how I can stop this happening? Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I stop McAfee QuickClean from deleting Ghostery settings in Chrome?

Moved to Quickclean and Shredder for better support.

---

Peter

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

OK trying to think what this is and all I can assume is that you are asking Quickclean to clean with its default settings?

Go into settings and adjust to let you choose what it deletes in Chrome - perhaps this is stored in Chrome's cache?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I didn't know QuickClean did this - I've more or less abandoned it for CCleaner. A good thing too since I use Chrome and have Ghostery.

What QuickClean is deleting is probably one or both of the extension's local storage files. For Ghostery these are -

chrome-extension_mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij_0.localstorage

chrome-extension_mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij_0.localstorage-journal

The exact pathname of the place where these files live depends on your Chrome profile name and your OS username (and OS). Best thing is do a search for the extension name (as above) and the files will show up.

How to get QC to exclude them : can you whitelist files in QC? If not, you'll have to abandon it for something else.

Edit : no whitelisting. At most you can include/exclude Cache, Cookies and History for Chrome itself. Nothing about files associated with Chrome extensions.

literary-gal
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for replying.

I've tried what you suggested and it did not work. It still deleted my Ghostery settings.

literary-gal
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thank you for your reply. I guess I will most likely have to find another program.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Just stop using Quickclean then.  It really is only a simplified version of what Windows itself already offers through various tools and transactions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

I should have added that I strongly recommend against using any kind of registry cleaner.   Unless you are an expert, they always spell disaster.

literary-gal
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Okay, thank you very much!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community