Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 41 of 86

Re: Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

All bets are off!!

There are inconsistencies between the shredding feature McAfee Internet Security and McAfee Total Protection.

Files that can be shredded using Internet Security CANNOT BE SHREDDED using Total Protection.

This has been verified using

McAfee Internet Security v 14.0.R3
against
  McAfee Total Protection v 16.0.1

by myself with the help of a Microsoft 3rd-line support technician.

Issue raised with McAfee Technical Support on ticket #2269608541

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 42 of 86

Jump to solution

Very interesting and glad you have support in on it.

Peacekeeper
Message 43 of 86

Jump to solution

or is it the version of shredder as those two suite versions are at least 12 mths apart.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 44 of 86

Jump to solution

I had a remote access session with a 2nd-line support tech yesterday and after a very unsatisfactory 6 hours, he finally agreed to refer the issue to McAfee's Research Team.

Apparently, the shredder code  in Internet Security and Total Access is the same.  Logic says that they run the same, but my experience says otherwise.

The reason I say 'unsatisfactory' is that the tech was blaming everything other than Total Access.  Once I've calmed down, and had some more sleep (the session ended about 03:00 local UK time), I intend to escalate the issue to the Total Satisfaction Team.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 45 of 86

Jump to solution

OK, good luck 😉

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 46 of 86

Jump to solution

Just received the enclosed from McAfee -

"Dear Ian Molsey,

This is xxxxx, from McAfee Tier 2 Team, with a follow-up
documented under the Service Request number 484570-2269600696 . Your case is
under discussion from our research team. We will get back to you to take care
of the issue once we get a further update from our research team.

Thank you for choosing McAfee.

xxxxx

McAfee Tier 2 Team

Consumer Technical Support"

It's only taken them 17 days to respond to my referral to McAfee's research team; and, to add insult to injury, they can't even spell my surname correctly!

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 47 of 86

Jump to solution

Hi

I just noticed that records were created incorrectly (the contact name back in 2015) which i edited to reflect the correct surname. Am also reviewing the issue as to why Internet Security and Total Protection are having a difference in shredding functionality.

One thing that caught my eye is the version of these suites. The latest one is 16.0.1, try updating Internet Security to 16.0.1 and see if it makes a change

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 48 of 86

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

First, thanks for correcting my surname on your records.

I don't know about Internet Security v16.0.1, however, I'm running Total Access v16.0.1 ( fully patched) and just retested shredding a file with this; the problem as initially raised still persists.

I've tried to download IS v16.0.1; however, the only way I can try this is to download the s/w which I have to pay for.  Unless you can point me to a trial IS v16.0.1?

When I tried it with a MS 3rd Line Tech, he gave me a link to download IS v 14.0.R3 and we then ran it on my own PC; sorry, I don't have a record of this link.

Peacekeeper
Message 49 of 86

Jump to solution

I have Mcafee all access 16.0.1 Shredder 16.1.145 and just shredded 4 files 1 at a time 3 were 300Mb. no issues

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 50 of 86

Jump to solution

I have the same versions of Total Access & Shredder; however, I still get the reported issue.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community