Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avanice
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Can you clearly see the updates screen?

Jump to solution

I have a problem on my computer as the McAfee update notifications arrive with a light grey box background and some text in black and the other in white.  The black text presents no problem.  The white text is an immense problem as it takes considerable effort to even see it is there, never mind about reading it.  I've spent some time with screen settings, contrast - brighter - darker - colour settings - etc.  I cannot get it anything better than very poor.   The text within this sentence may indicate what I mean.  Did you read the previous sentence in the gap?  Here you can highlight or change text colour and it will show.  It does NOT highlight in the notification box and you can't change the text colour.

I must presume it is an individual problem as others have not complained but whether it is individual to my eyes or to my screen I don't know. 

With thanks Avanice....

ps.  I've tried a different screen, that didn't do any better.   I can't find self fit eyes that can be easily swapped.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 19

Re: Can you clearly see the updates screen?

Jump to solution

There never was an upgrade path for XP, or even its successor Vista, only W7, and W8.1. and now the free upgrade is officially no more.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Can you post a pic asap as I can bring this up at our moderator call tomorrow. So update notification white on white? I added this to the agenda but need a pic thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

A screenshot would be useful.

I never see a screen as I have mine set to automatic.  Have set to manual now so I can check.

These screens are controlled by Internet Explorer so make sure that's up to date and at default settings.

IE doesn't have to be your default browser.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

I have changed my setting to notify so will see if I get a popup before our call.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

Mine just updated and it asked me as it should:

Capture.JPG

If yours is blank or distorted it could be the IE browser settings as I stated.  We'd need more info like your operating system and is it up to date, plus what version of the software - open it and click About, give us the SecurityCenter version.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

Mine as well also what Operating system is this on?

Are your video card drivers current and not beta?

Have you got Mcafee Cloud AV that has bad contrast. Reinstall it this improves things not fully though

avanice
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

McAfee notification.JPG

I have tried to make the contrast as clear as possible and you will see it is now readable whereas before I had to guess at 'action' locations.  However it is still not the clearest of messages. 

Operating system is XP  (My fingernails will get torn out before I change it - sorry but It works for just about everything else I do on my desktop.)

IE was disabled several years ago in favour of Chrome.

Drivers for video card are upto date.

It is not blank nor are the messages distorted.  It would appear to update correctly, as it should, once the 'install' area is clicked.

Someone mentioned their settings make it update automatically, this would be is one way round the day to day problem but not if other messages requiring actions are sent.

Many thanks to all who have answered the question (and those who are continuing to raise the query) - it seems as if the cure is going to be the upgrade eyes route <smile>.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

I'm afraid XP (SP3 I assume) is no longer supported as it's obsolete, so this is probably why it's happening.

The only suggestion I have is to try updating IE as far as it will go.  It should be IE8.

(No need to disable a browser when using another one, simply set Chrome as your default).

It may be difficult to obtain updates now though.  Good luck.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

I wasn't aware you could disable IE in XP but if that's what's happened it accounts for the graphics weirdness - McAfee relies on IE for its display settings.

But my reason for chiming in here is to say that Chrome on XP won't auto-update any more. It'll be stuck on an old version and is likely to become unstable since all the Chrome extensions are still updating to be compatible with the latest Chrome version.

Firefox still works fine and updates for XP are still available, for now at least.

avanice
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

My deficit of IE content may well be the correct reason for my problem as I have found you can disable any computer program when it starts to annoy you.  Whether it is the best / correct thing to do is another question and it would appear it may well not have been the wisest of actions.  

As it was my fault for sending portions of IE to the nether regions I must apologize for troubling those who have been disconcerted at my plight.  Sorry guys (and guyettes).  But why should it only manifest itself with MacAfee and no other program?   

Maybe the finger nails will have to be trimmed short (see last post)  for a change to Win10

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community